Problem with RTK corrections

Reach Rx: firmware 1.3
Emlid flow: 9.5

There are two bugs that I have identified in the Emlid Flow app when connecting to Reach RX. The first bug is that I cannot obtain RTK corrections in 2G. The NTRIP protocol I use requires only an average of 9.6 kbps of data, but if connected in 2G, with, for example, 120 kbps of internet speed available, I cannot obtain corrections. I presume that the Emlid Flow app is not well optimized to work with low internet speed because, for example, if I use the Lefebure NTRIP client or Survx software, I can obtain corrections on the RX with the same phone, the same NTRIP protocol, and the same internet speed.

The second bug is that the Emlid Flow app takes too long to recover corrections when there is a loss of corrections for any reason. Even with a 4G connection, it only recovers corrections after 1 to 2 minutes. A trick that I noticed works is to restart the app to recover corrections, but this should not be necessary; the app should attempt to recover corrections every 3 seconds, and we should not have to wait 1 to 2 minutes.

The last situation I will mention is a suggestion for improving the Emlid Flow app and not a bug. I suggest that, next to the satellite count information (top of the screen), include information about the age of corrections. When there is a loss of corrections, the app only goes from FIX to FLOAT after 1 minute. This can cause errors when obtaining coordinates. If the information about the age of corrections is visible, and not just in the status menu (which is not practical), the surveyor obtaining coordinates has an exact perception of the age of corrections, giving them greater confidence in obtaining accurate coordinates.

I look forward to your feedback.

1 Like

There are two bugs that I have identified in the Emlid Flow app when connecting to Reach RX. The first bug is that I cannot obtain RTK corrections in 2G. The NTRIP protocol I use requires only an average of 9.6 kbps of data, but if connected in 2G, with, for example, 120 kbps of internet speed available, I cannot obtain corrections. I presume that the Emlid Flow app is not well optimized to work with low internet speed because, for example, if I use the Lefebure NTRIP client or Survx software, I can obtain corrections on the RX with the same phone, the same NTRIP protocol, and the same internet speed.

The second bug is that the Emlid Flow app takes too long to recover corrections when there is a loss of corrections for any reason. Even with a 4G connection, it only recovers corrections after 1 to 2 minutes. A trick that I noticed works is to restart the app to recover corrections, but this should not be necessary; the app should attempt to recover corrections every 3 seconds, and we should not have to wait 1 to 2 minutes.

The last situation I will mention is a suggestion for improving the Emlid Flow app and not a bug. I suggest that, next to the satellite count information (top of the screen), include information about the age of corrections. When there is a loss of corrections, the app only goes from FIX to FLOAT after 1 minute. This can cause errors when obtaining coordinates. If the information about the age of corrections is visible, and not just in the status menu (which is not practical), the surveyor obtaining coordinates has an exact perception of the age of corrections, giving them greater confidence in obtaining accurate coordinates.

I look forward to your feedback.

1 Like

Hi Sara,

We’re in touch regarding this issue over email. Let’s keep all the details there to avoid any confusion.