Precise positioning for Google Maps

Hello,

I just ordered my Reach RS+ to benefit Friday discount. But I am not sure if this equipment is what I am looking for yet. I am a farmer and I want to identify locations of my lands. So I need an improved gps coverage for my tablet (android or apple) to identify exact locations of my lands on Google Maps

Locations of my lands have already been imported in Google Maps in KML format. So I need a precise positioning for Google Maps

Does Reach RS+ provides precise positioning for my tablet?

That depends on your RTK/PPK setup (and thus your choice of reference).

Here is a good starting point:

Welcome @milo.deepdelver! A few clarifications…

Using just a tablet or for your machine(s) as well?

We need to understand that exact on Google Earth or Maps is about 10 meters.

What exactly is being imported? A picture, a georeferenced image (drone), CAD linework or plat and etc…

From what I gather I don’t the the Reach RS+ and Reachview by themselves are going to do what you are looking for since it doesn’t have background maps, but once you clarify we can get you some better guidance.

1 Like

Hi Milo,

As Michael pointed out, it’d be easier for us to answer your questions if you elaborated on your workflow.

Reach RS+ provides the centimeter-level accuracy for working in RTK. In RTK, your rover will determine its position with centimeter accuracy only if it receives corrections from the base, either local one or a remote NTRIP station.

Please note that Google Maps are not super accurate.

Also, you can check all of the formats that it’s possible to download from the Reach RS+ Survey tab here. For any other formats, you’ll need to convert your data.

@milo.deepdelver

Hi!

First of all, if you can find a local GIS consultant, he might be able to very quickly put you on track, using free resources, to achieve your goals. This would be the best way to get up and running in the shortest time possible. I would estimate around two work days might be enough. It’s a little bit of money to spend, but you’d probably save a lot of time, which might be worthwhile to a farmer who has limited time in a day.

As a rough sketch of what you could do:

• Use a software like QGIS
  • Use online base maps like the ones from USGS
  • Connect to a public base station with your Reach RS+ to get a correction over the internet (if you have cellular data available).

If you don’t have cell data available, you could setup a directional WiFi antenna from your house (if it has line of sight with what you’re trying to locate).

If you definitely cannot get internet where you need to do the work, you’ll need a second Reach RS+ to do RTK work.

If all else fails, you can always use your RS+ as a static receiver and record for around 6 hours, then send the raw RINEX data to a correction service like the PPP. That way you can get a precise location for single points.

1 Like

I would also recommend to use QGIS, it’s free and has much more reliability regarding coordinate systems and tools to manipulate the data. A few online tutorials and you should be set.

1 Like

Solid advice from @Gabriel_C! I agree about QGIS and once you get a feel for it I can almost guarantee it will be an important part of your workflow. You can also use the OPENLAYERS plug-in to populate the Google background so that you can be assured that the data you are creating will align perfectly with Google Earth. Because Google Earth is only 1-3m accurate at best there will probably be some realignment needed or as most of us do explain the lack of accuracy of GE and pitch the accuracy of your data.
I should have asked before, but when you said “I just ordered my Reach RS+”, did you mean a base/rover kit or just a rover? If just the rover, depending on where you are located you may be able to find a COR Station as Gabriel recommended. Worst case if the CORS is not working for you is to occupy each point with the rover for 5-10 minutes, download the “base” RINEX from online and PPK to get your corrected positions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.