PPK Drone Auteo Evo 2 Pro - lose the orientation parameters?

Hello how are you?
I have an Autel Evo 2 Pro drone, and I use it in PPK mode with my Topcon Hiper V GPS. I use Emlid Studio for PPK processing.

The question is: Why does emlid studio overwrite the information of the “omega, phi, kappa” orientations in the geoprocessed images?

I use the Pix4dMapper program. If I import the “raw or autonomous” images, the program shows me the coordinates and orientations of each photo. But when importing the photographs processed with emlid studio, I only have the coordinates and I manually have to type the horizontal and vertical precision in 1cm or something similar.

• What about the orientation parameters?
  • Are they no longer necessary because their influence is already calculated in the process when using the mkr file?
  • What happens if I import the “omega, phi, kappa” parameters from the autonomous images and place them on the processed photographs? (this can be done very simply but manually, I actually created an excel spreadsheet that does it, but I’m not sure if it’s correct to do)
  • Pix4Dmapper has a setting in “calibration method” called “accurate geolocation and orientation” that is only available if I have those parameters. Is it correct to add these parameters and use this calibration method?
1 Like

Hi Luis, i’ve asked the same question in another topic, the tags are deleted by default in PPK Processing, i’ve asked the Emlid engineers to keep that parameters, it’s very important. I’m using Pix4d mapper too, if i use Emlid studio i have to create another project and export the camera exif, as you said, then import in the ppk project.
If you don’t want to, while we’re waiting for Emlid Studio update, you can buy RedCatch Redtoolbox, another PPK software that keeps Exif tags automatically.

For calibration method, i often use “accurate geolocation and orientation” with my M300 with P1 and M3e, specially in very very large project. The process time is about 1/6-1/8 and it’s quite reliable, a little less than standard calibration.

2 Likes

Hello!

Create a “pic.csv” file from the “.pos” file as follows:
SourceFile,XMP:GPSLongitude,XMP:GPSLatitude,XMP:AbsoluteAltitude,XMP:RtkStdLat,XMP:RtkStdLon,XMP:RtkStdHgt
D:\Pic\DJI_0004.JPG,19.09348799,46.41188508,235.0418,0.0042,0.0028,0.0072

Then run ExifTool:
ExifTool -csv=“I:\Pic\pic.csv” "I:\Pic\Out\

Other information of the original image remains

2 Likes

I guess I’m fortunate to have flown all my sites/missions with RTN using my Autel Evo II Pro RTK. I use Metashape processing the imagery. Metashape is some very cool software and I have been discovering something new every time I use it.

I’ll have to try and PP a site I’ve flown either using Emlid’s or Metashape. I’ve got a copy of REDToolbox. I bought it to have just in case, however I haven’t tried it out yet. I know our RTN and RTK will spoil you, though I enjoy PP GNSS vectors with Justin 3. Justin 3 will also PP and adjust the imagery but I haven’t explored it yet.

It’ll be a good comparison check for processing PP both GNSS vectors and imagery. I’m getting very good results with the RTN imagery, usually 2-5 cm horizontal and 3-8 cm vertically in final imagery comparing GCP’s and hard points from our state’s 2008 and 2022 LIDAR surface’s.

2 Likes

hello all of you.

so… the orientation parameters are important and i must introduce in the proyect even if emlid studio remove in the tagged photos.

ok thanks a lot of you.

Hi Luis,

Welcome to our community!

Yes, right now, Emlid Studio removes the orientation details from photos while geotagging. But we’ve heard your request to keep this info, so we’re looking into it. I’ll keep you posted on any updates in this thread.

Thanks for sharing the possible workarounds, guys!

2 Likes

hello!!!..

i just update to 1.8 version… and check that emlid studio don’t erase the orientation parameters anymore!!!. The exif information is now update only de coordinate and keep the orientation just like the original.

thanks!

BUT!!

How can i get the horizontal and vertical accuracity in Pix4DMapper from the EXIF??.. this parameters seems to be the original too… and not the fixed error (centimeter level). I enter this parameters manually 1cm for horizontal and 1,5cm for vertical to all the photos