Phone App for Surveying?

Hi all, I’ve got a quick simple question I want to verify before going out into the field. (I’m picking up our RS2s from a client the same day we’re doing the survey so can’t test at home).

I’m wanting to outline a property boundary using the RS2s, while also noting the location of a number of posts (for a shapefile). I know Reachview can capture continuous points (based on the doc I read). Can it note specific locations while also collecting regular sample data?

Or is there a different app everyone uses for this? I’m hoping I can just do this on my Android phone without having to bring up a bunch of our other equipment. Thanks!

you are lucky, at the moment the beta version of the reachview app has a ton of functionality that will let you do what you are asking. you will need to enable the dev firmware to enable it however.

if you do not want to do that, you can try getting a demo of microsurvey field genius for android.

2 Likes

Hi Brian,

I know Reachview can capture continuous points (based on the doc I read). Can it note specific locations while also collecting regular sample data?

Yes, you’re right. You can collect points with the ReachView using the Point Collection tool. The feature allows you to make project-based point collection with auto-save rules or manually. You can outline a property boundary by simply recording each position as a point.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by the specific locations? As has been mentioned before, you can collect points in a project.

Also, do I understand correctly that you’d like to record raw data log while collecting a point? ReachView allows you to record three logs - raw data log, position log and the base position log - during the whole time of the survey.

Or is there a different app everyone uses for this? I’m hoping I can just do this on my Android phone without having to bring up a bunch of our other equipment.

Reach receivers are compatible with a lot of external third-party software. I’d recommend checking this guide to find out how to configure a mock location feature on your Android device and use Reach with third-party apps.

HI @liudmila.slepova, we arrived at a different solution. By walking we collected a bunch of point data with Reachview but are wanting to generate a DEM. Am I to understand that in the raw data log there are continuously taken points?

Hi Brian,

The raw data log contains GNSS observations from the receiver without calculation of accurate coordinates.

All collected points are stored in your survey project, which can be exported in different formats. If you need to use the position from the receiver, you can check out the position log. It contains coordinates that were recorded with the configured update rate.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.