Permanent external mount for RS+

I would like to mount one of my RS+ as a base station in a semi-permanent location at a building with fiber internet access for RTK surveys for my telecom infrastructure out in the field.

Can the Emlid RS+ be mounted outside permanently or is there an external antenna option somehow? I was thinking it’d be nice to have an external gps antenna so that the “brains” part of it could be inside, out of the elements. I am not sure the RS+ even has an external antenna option.

M+ or M2 will work if you only want the anntenna outside and the rest inside

Bummer. So, looks like if I have the RS+ I am stuck with mounting everything outside? Probably best to just put it on a tripod then and set it up only when I need it and bring it inside when done? Will the M+ base work with an RS+ rover?

Hi Ryan,

All Reach devices are interoperable so you will be able to use M+/M2 as base station with Reach RS+/RS2 rover.

2 Likes

Thank you. So, right now I have two RS+ units. I’ve successfully set up one as base and one as rover but it took a really long time to get a fix. Once it was fixed, it stayed that way. I am considering purchasing a M+ or M2 to establish a permanent base station.

I read about differences between M+ and M2. M2 claims fix in 5 seconds. M+ claims in 1-2 minutes.

If I go with an M2 as my permanent base, will my reach rs+ rover realize any benefits or do I need the RS2? Also, the antenna that goes with the UAV kit seems low gain, is there a higher gain option or is that not really needed as long as the Base has clear view everywhere.

1 Like

You would need an RS2 or another M2 to get the benefit of the multi-path. I’m not a specs professor, but I do know that there are allot of external antennas that are compatible as long as you end up at the right connection. These examples are 30-40db for around $400-500 so I guess you could spend whatever you want.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information and getting a new person on their way to success. Will RS2 and M2 simply achieve fix faster? You used the term multipath. Does that just mean that RS2 and M2 just better in areas of obstacles like trees? I want to set up a base at a known location and have at least 10km radius to get fix but the rover will often be in areas of trees. And I will be traveling from one data collection point to another with a vehicle, getting out of the vehicle, walking a few yards, taking a point, then getting back in vehicle. The distances between points are too far. We are not just walking around in close proximity. We are collecting data for telecom infrastructure like utility poles.

1 Like

Yes, the multi-path basically means that the receivers have multiple connections to each satellite. All the receivers may only see 15 satellites, but the 2-series could potentially have 50-100% more connections allowing it to fix faster and maintain in worse conditions. With the scenario you describe it may be tough to get a full 10km, but if you get the base up high it may work out. As for driving from point to point I would suggest investing in a magnetic vehicle mount. You put a quick release adapter on the bottomw of the receiver and the top of your survey rod and simply push a button to mount and dismount. You will need to take into account the offset of that extra piece, but that is easy. If your terrain is not too bumpy the single magnet will work fine.

https://www.tigersupplies.com/Products/Single-Mag-Mount-with-Quick-Release-Tip__SEC5114-051.aspx

1 Like

I just bought the antenna David had bought shown here Reach M2 w/ Mini-Survey Antenna Static/Rapid Static Testing Results

I’m satisfied with the supplied M2 antenna that Emlid sells with the M2 but it’s not in NGS’s list of calibrated antennas. Swift’s antenna is reasonably priced at $225 and comes with a 4 meter cable. You can use the M2 cable and connect to it without any adapter. It also picks up Galileo sats; it’s not mentioned on their website.

As far as surveying in the woods with the M2 or any other receiver, I would be extremely cautious with any "fixed’ solution. To verify, I would either PP with a closed loop or re-observe the point. Javad receivers, which we have, are the only receivers that can penetrate high multi path areas and guarantee a fixed solution. I’ve used most of the popular receivers and Javad’s are the best

2 Likes

I’m learning. Why would I struggle to achieve 10km if my base was set up as TCP connection at a location with excellent view of the sky? I’m not using the LORA antenna, I’m using TCP connection on the Rover as well with a mobile hotspot. I’d like to achieve as much radius from the base as possible. It is the rover side that I am concerned about having obstructions from mostly trees…Should I be coming to the realization that the RS+ is not the way to go for my environment and that RS2/M2 would be better suited?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Yes, using TCP instead of LoRa does make a difference.

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

I suspect you may be based in Australia. If so, and you’d like to discuss what you have planned, feel free to reach out and connect via hello@mangoesmapping.com.au.

Regards, Alistair

Just want to close this thread and say thanks to Alistair for helping me get things sorted. I fiddled with the AR settings on the units and I’m able to get a fix now in just a few minutes. I’m still learning but Alistair took time to speak to me on the phone and explain to me some of the settings and pros/cons of the different types of Reach units. In the end, I am now comfortable with the Reach RS+ units and I know I don’t need to go buying any other hardware. It was nice speaking to a fellow geographer who’s passionate about this stuff. He has tremendous industry experience and knowledge. Thank you Alistair!

3 Likes

Galileo support