Parallel lines stakeout issue

Hi everyone, I’m trying to stake out a fenceline from an existing line. The new line is over 3km from the original surveyed line. The problem is that the “offset” in the “to line”is in KM, to 3 decimal places (so only accurate to 1m). Is there another approach I can take or a work around to this situation? I need it to in cm.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

The оffset feature is designed for work on short distances. So, for now, it can’t be used on a 3 km distance for the centimeter-level accurate line stakeout. Still, it should be possible to create a parallel line in a 3rd-party GIS software and import it to Emlid Flow for the stakeout.

I’ve also shared your case with the team, and we’ll think about how we can support it in the future. It’ll really help us if you share some additional details about your work. What does your step-by-step workflow look like? What is the expected final result?

UPD: Changed wording a bit

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I did as you said and exported from Emlid into 3rd party and reimported. Interestingly, the import of lines seems to only work when importing as a .dxf, the .shp file looked as though it imported correctly, but the lines weren’t visible (hence not selectable for stakeout).
My step-by-step workflow would work as such…

• Base setup etc to give me rtk.
  • I go to the each end of a fenceline and create a line.
  • Sometimes I need to add a stake to the line at a certain distance along the like, and what’s currently available does this nicely.
  • Sometimes I need to replicate (offset) the line to create a perfectly parallel line to the surveyed one. I’m a farmer, so my machinery is divisible by 12m swath widths, so to avoid having rows on the side of the paddock because the fence is not parallel, I create the line lets say 3000m away (3000/12=250). I then stakeout this line to create the new fenceline.
  • Another addition that would be nice would be the ability to “zero” the distance along the line. For example, If I had a gate somewhere along the line, I could zero the stakeout distance along the line to make sure the pegs etc were exactly in the correct position.
  • In the last excercise, I actually created a large number of parallel lines, as I wasn’t exactly sure of the distance I needed to go to get to the other side of the paddock. This worked really well, as all I had to do was once I was there, I selected the closest line, and did the stakeout…

I hope that makes sense, let me know if you need more information.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for such a thorough description of your workflows! I’ve passed it on to the team.

Interestingly, the import of lines seems to only work when importing as a .dxf, the .shp file looked as though it imported correctly, but the lines weren’t visible (hence not selectable for stakeout).

Lines should work well both in DXF and Shapefiles. If it happens on the latest app version, please share the Shapefile with me, and tell me the coordinate system you’re working in. I’ll look into it.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.