OPUS returns RTK Base Coordinates

When I submit a RINEX file converted with Emild Studio to OPUS, the coordinates returned are of the RTK Base from the NTRIP connection, not the point on which the RS3 is set up.

Am I configuring Emild Studio incorrectly, or should I record data without an NTRIP connection?

Are you using a Emlid two receiver setup, (onsite Base/Rover) or a single Emlid RS3 Rover receiver over a service supplied NTRIP corrections doing a static 1-4?hr observation and sending in that rinex file to OPUS? If using the latter, I don’t see how it is possible to log anything other than the Rover’s receiver position. If the former, maybe a mix up on sending the wrong log file…

Hi @craig.brewer,

OPUS returns you the coordinates of the receiver on which you recorded the raw data log.

@mark1st.john asked a good question. Do you have a base/rover setup or a single receiver only?

I use a single RS3 and have three ROCK Bases (at my house and two offices around the city). I am connecting to the ROCK Bases on the RS3 via NTRIP.

I am using Emlid Studio to convert the .RTCM3 file to RINEX, which results in the .23O file that is uploaded to OPUS. Any other files I try are rejected by OPUS.

I have been using the ROCK Bases with the M3E drone and am now venturing into this new world. The plan is to use the RS3 to set GCPs, but I am just trying to understand the technology at this point.

Curious. What is the benefit of using ROCK Robotic base(s) versus just using a state provided network via NTRIP?

Seems so?

Until a few weeks ago, Arizona did not have an active (available) network.
It has been taken over by a different agency (Arizona Department of Water Resources) and was re-released publicly a few weeks ago as azcors.azwater.gov

Another benefit is that my bases are typically closer to my sites than the State bases (and there is no detailed map yet; I have to backtrack the mount points through the NGS map to determine the exact locations). But it is good to have the additional options now available.

1 Like

Hi @craig.brewer,

The RTCM3 log contains base corrections. So when you convert it to RINEX in Emlid Studio, you technically get the base’s observation file. That’s why you obtain base coordinates from OPUS.

To get the coordinates of your rover, you need to record the raw data log on it in RINEX format and use this file for OPUS. If you have recorded raw data in UBX format, you can convert it to RINEX in Emlid Studio.

Why don’t you just collect GCPs with NTRIP corrections from ROCK bases? If you have stable internet at your work site, it should be the easiest option.

Uploading the logs to OPUS usually comes in handy when you establish your local base, as it requires ~4 hours of observation at a single point.

2 Likes