NVidia TX1

Similar to what has been documented for the Pixhawk, what is required to connect and configure an NVidia TX1 using AuVidea.eu’s J120 carrier board so that it is able to communicate with a Navio2?

I am curious about this too as I was looking into using a TX1 along the Navio. Please keep this updated.

Hello guys!
Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply.

Pixhawk and Navio are mostly compatible in this regard. You can leverage the fact that you fly a full-featured Linux computer that can be connected not only over UART but also over UDP and other interfaces.

@rma153 Any updates on getting them to work together or what you have been doing? Thanks!

My J120 board arrived Friday, but I was away on business in Mumbai. I intend to follow the Ardupilot instructions for Pizhawk and TX1 tonight.

Sorry, meant Pixhawk

I would be very interested if you could perhaps post some steps/pictures when you get it working! :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind me asking what are you going to be mounting this on and using it for?

I plan to replace my RPi3 with the TX1 plus Navio2 on my 4G controlled H frame 250 size drone, so that I can begin experimenting with realtime 3D mapping and collision avoidance, among other things that are enabled by the powerful GPU of the TX1

Hmm im not sure you can replace the Navio with a TX1. Because for one it doesn’t have the same GPIO, so certain pins would either mismatch or not be available at all. Second, Emlid has worked on a lot of drivers and modifications to how the pins are handled, but you could definitely use it alongside the Navio 2 (with RPi).

I am only replacing the RPi3.

I am using the Navio2 and TX1.

See

http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/companion-computer-nvidia-tx1.html

This guide is not meant for a bare Navio2 board.
Navio2 is no standalone flightcontroller in itself. It is a IMU board adding the sensors needed for a flightcontroller to a RPi. The flightcontrol software is then running on the RPi and accessing Navio2s sensors.
Navio2 depends on a specific set of GPIO pins with specific functions. TX1 and RPi are not compatible in that regard. A serial connection, like in that guide will not work in any way with a bare Navio2 board.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. Instead, is it possible to connect a TX2 as a companion computer to the Navio2 plus RPI3, in order to gain the additional capabilities of the TX2/J120 (machine vision, etc.)?

Certainly, you would want to forward the mavlink, I will search for a link where I was reading about that later, remind me if I forget.

you can either use the -c /dev/ttyAMA0 if your connecting the two over uart or -c /dev/ttyUSB0 if your using usb (on rpi) to a serial port on TX1/J120.

Hi, did you found the link? I am trying to build something similar as well. I t would be great help.
Any updates on getting them to work together (TX2 and Navio2) or (TX2/J120, Rpi3, and Navio2)?