NTRIP for Dummies (Me)

HUGE breakthrough thanks to Gabriel and his workthrough I’ve finally got connected to the euref NTRIP service.
The nearest caster is 36km away but I’m connected and receiving corrections over one RS+ unit as a base and those who have followed my posts about trying to get the rs working will know how much trouble I’ve had.
Gabriel’s steps above didn’t work initially but one of the changes I made was to connect my iPad through my iPhone where previously I’d been trying to connect my iPad though a CAT S61 Android phone but it simply wouldn’t work.
Massive thank you for all your support!!
Now… can anybody advise me on what the corrections input or output settings need to be please ha ha.

2 Likes

I needed that step by step one week ago. It took one whole week of emails and a conference call to Russia, which was not helpful until I finally figured out his steps above. These should be made a sticky at the top for us dummies.
Now for corrections and settings, I’m just following youtube vids. Now I’m stuck in rtklib hell, some of which did not load on my laptop correctly, giving me an error when I get as far as rtkplot, “no qt plugin could be initialized”. I’ve tried reloading, but I get a whole file of files and it’s a crapshoot knowing how to load. I did manage to get the icons on desktop days ago. First two steps worked, but rtkplot does not. So I’m looking for alternative methods here.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience and your help in sorting this out!

I just wanted to add a couple of details.

You can provide Reach RS+ with the Internet connection via Wi-Fi. For that, you need to use any source that can create a hot spot with the Internet: a modem or a smartphone with a hot spot feature. We have a separate guide that explains step by step how you can connect Reach RS+ to the Internet:

You can connect Reach RS+ to your smartphone’s hot spot using the second device as Gabriel described. Nonetheless, I’d like to point out that you can use one device to setup RS+ working with the device’s hot spot. I’ll describe the steps below.

1. Power up RS+ and wait until the Network LED is solid blue (indicating that the device is in the Hotspot mode)
  2. Connect to a network named reach:xx:xx with the password emlidreach using your phone
  3. Choose Reach RS+ in ReachView and open it
  4. Go to the Wi-Fi tab
  5. Click on the Connect to a hidden network button, enter the smartphone hot spot’s credentials: network name, security type, and password, and save it
  6. Make sure all of the other available Wi-Fi networks are deleted or out of reach so that RS+ wouldn’t connect to them
  7. Turn Reach RS+ off
  8. Enable mobile hotspot on the phone
  9. Turn the Reach RS+ on. It should automatically connect to the known network on a start-up

This configuration allows you to use ReachView and provide Internet access to RS+ via one device.

We’ll think about how we can rework the instructions in our guide so it’ll be more convenient for everyone.

5 Likes

That’s great!
I was confused about why there always had to be a second device for hot spot routing.
I have an ipad with sim capability and always assumed id be able to connect through that but it wasn’t made clear that i could, instead i was always told to go through two devices.
Thank you.

Michael,

Regarding further settings, I’d recommend the following guides:

3 Likes

Dave,

Do I understand correctly that you are using RTKLib on Windows? This error message might indicate that the program is installed in the folder that requires root access. Please, try installing the latest RTKLib version in a different folder like [Drive]:/Program Files/RTKLib.

If the issue remains, please let us know. I’d ask you to start a new thread on it to keep the discussion in this thread consistent.

1 Like

Just to clarify?
If i set up a single RS+ on a tripod as a base over an unknown point using NTRIP to gain coords to create a known point, i set the data collection time to 30mins or an hour?
When that has completed i then start a project where i can input the RS+ height and record a point which will give me actual world coords and ground level height?

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delayed answer!

Once RS+ obtained Fix status, you reach a centimeter-level accuracy with the coordinates of the unknown point. After that, you can set the Average Fix mode for 10 minutes. I believe these settings will be enough to ensure the accuracy of the point’s coordinates.

Let me explain this. When you get the coordinates of the base by its averaging, the height value contains the distance from the ground to the antenna. To get the base’s coordinates of the ground, you need to exclude the antenna height from the elevation.

When you collect the points with a rover in RTK, those coordinates will reflect the actual position of a point on the ground in WGS84. In such workflow you set the antenna height in the Survey tool, so the coordinates will be calculated accordingly. It can be done by tapping on the 2 m pole button. You can learn more about the Survey tool workflow in this docs section.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.