Non Europeans cannot register to forum

The signup form for Emlid community forum has a bug. I am in Australia and cannot register a new account, I was only able to by using a European VPN.

On the signup form there are two checkboxes asking for sharing privacy information, they are named GDPR1 and GDPR2, but they are hidden if you are not in EU (Australia at least)

GDPR1 *
I agree to have my data transferred to Emlid
GDPR2 *
I agree with Emlid Privacy Policy

They don’t seem to be specifically related to EU GDPR regulations but are mandatory for submitting the forum, please don’t hide them style=“display:none!important;visibility:hidden!important;opacity:0!important;height:0!important;width:0!important;pointer-events:none!important;”

If you want to try reproduce the issue try using a VPN located in a country like Australia and register a new account then you will see the error message “Please enter a value for ‘GDPR1’”

1 Like

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the report!

Could you please share what Internet browser you have used to sign up?

Do you have any ad blockers or browser extensions installed that might have caused this issue?

Chrome, no ad blockers installed.

If you want to try reproduce the issue try using a VPN located in a country like Australia and register a new account then you will see the error message “Please enter a value for ‘GDPR1’”

Hi Karl,

Thanks.

We’ll check this and I’ll get back to you with the news.

Just tried registering a different email again so i can provide more details. I realise the issue is with discourse. I can register to discourse websites own forum but their signup process does not ask extra questions after first login. Your signup does not work in “Google Chrome Version 91.0.4472.124 (Official Build) (64-bit)” but does work in “Firefox Developer Edition 90.0b12 (64-bit)”

The two privacy questions are hidden in chrome so form won’t validate and submit. screenshots included here. I updated my chrome settings to allow popups from all sites and added popup exception for emlid website to chrome settings in case that was the issue but still does not work.

1 Like

Hi Karl,

A very useful investigation, thanks so much! We will keep looking why this happens and how to fix it

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your patience.

Our forum is built using Discourse open-source platform. The issue with the checkboxes appears on the Discourse’s side with Google Chrome browser. We’ll double-check if we can help with fixing it.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.