No events in the camera log file with Hot Shoe, Sony A6000

Dear colleagues,
I’ve done some photogrammetry flights and have the Sony A6000 camera connected to the Reach M + module via Hot Shoe adapter.
When I use the Reach View app to download the NMEA log file, I do not see camera events.
The photos were shot during the autonomy mission by the EMLID flight controller, are perfectly and are all available.
Can we use the Reach M+ Module as standalone for camera triggering events or Only with base station?

Are these only included in the RAW-UBX file and do you need to convert them first with the software RTKLIB?
Do I have to set or pay attention to something in the ReachView app or in the QGround Control software? I´m using a EMLID Edge Flight Controller.
Did the hot shoe need an TTL signal or only an open/close interrupt?
Thanks in advance!

Hi Fred,

You need to post-process logs from Reach M+ and your base first. As a result, you’ll find *.events file containing camera events in the output folder.

Thank you very much for your help!
You mean, i need the base station too?
I cannot use the Reach M+ Module as standalone for camera triggering events?
Only with base station?

Hi Fred,

You can process raw data logs in Single mode and get *.events file. However, you won’t get precise results in this case.

Reach receivers can get centimeter-level accuracy using the RTK/PPK technique. It usually requires 2 units: Reach base station and Reach rover. One Reach M+ in a Single mode can provide only a few meters accuracy.

I’d recommend examining the following guide for more related information.

1 Like

Hello,
I had created a thread in the forum, but I have not received any correct answers to my questions.
This are my questions:

I’ve done some photogrammetry flights and have the Sony A6000 camera connected to the Reach M + module via Hot Shoe adapter.
When I use the Reach View app to download the NMEA log file, I do not see camera events.
The photos were shot during the autonomy mission by the EMLID flight controller, are perfectly and are all available.

• Can we use the Reach M+ Module as standalone for camera triggering events or Only with base station?

• Are these only included in the RAW-UBX file and do you need to convert them first with the software RTKLIB?

• Do I have to set or pay attention to something in the ReachView app or in the QGround Control software? I´m using a EMLID Edge Flight Controller.

• Did the hot shoe need an TTL signal or only an open/close interrupt?

the guide doesn´t explain my problems/questions.
Regards

Hi Fred

cannot answer all of your questions, but here is the answer to the 2 first questions

You can we use the Reach M+ Module as standalone for camera triggering events but accuracy will be few meters. On the other hand, if you use it paired with a base (CORS station or a local base) you will obtain centimeter accuracy!

The events (camera trigger) is available in both file (UBX and RINEX). Depending which software you use, conversion to rinex may not be needed. For example EZSurv software allows to post-process the UBX file (or rinex file) and to interpolate photo position based on trigger time (or corrected trigger time if you are not directly connected to camera hot shoe). Corrected photo position are directly wrote in photo exif (or in a txt file). Moreover, photo position will be in the datum of your choice with orthometric height (MSL) if you prefer orthometric to ellipsoid height. EZSurv can also output projected position if you prefer.

If you use the M+ with PPK software, GCP is no longer needed.
Collecting very few GCP can however allow to verify your job (just to make sure you did not forget to enter a tripod height or such human error).

Some people would use RS+ as a local base and M+ on the drone.
Once the flight is completed, the M+ is moved on a survey pole to collect few check points.
I think it’s a great, cost effective, idea!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your help!

5 Control points, and ~20 checkpoints on the ground is still needed for a normal job, as you would still need a way to prove to your customer that your data is sound and accurate.

Hi Fred,

Can we use the Reach M+ Module as standalone for camera triggering events or Only with base station?

You can use Reach M+ in Single mode to record camera events. Please note, in this case, the accuracy will be a few meters.

Are these only included in the RAW-UBX file and do you need to convert them first with the software RTKLIB?

Time marks are stored in UBX and RINEX files. If your raw data is in UBX format, you should convert it to RINEX in the RTKCONV software for further post-processing.

Do I have to set or pay attention to something in the ReachView app or in the QGround Control software? I´m using a EMLID Edge Flight Controller.

To obtain the required file with events, you should process raw data in the RTKPOST software. In case you have logs only from Reach M+, you should choose Single positioning mode in the ‘Settings’ tab.

Did the hot shoe need an TTL signal or only an open/close interrupt?

Camera event pin expects rising and falling edge signals with active high state = 3.2V and active low state = 0.5V.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.