New M2 rover case

Another 3D print M2 case. The pole inserts independent on the lower locking nut. Releasing the base allows you to remove the M2. Currently the 18650 4 2s2p cell battery slides out, but I’ll add a usb type c charge board. The Novatel antenna uses a 1/4 mount so it can quickly be attached to our Phoenix LiDAR unit.

9 Likes

That’s funny. While testing I’m seeing about 10 more sats than my RS2 base😂

2 Likes

Well done! The M2 with a proper patch antenna provides solid performance for cheap !

3 Likes

I was about to order another RS2 for rover duty, but I may just get another M2. That way I can leave the other M2 units in the boat and drone.

1 Like

Shaun,

It’s such a solid beautiful setup! Definitely built to attract more signal :smirk:

4 Likes

That’s a nice setup you have there, buddy. Mind if I ask you a couple of questions?
What kind of battery and display are you using? If you have any links i’d appreciate.
You mind sharing the 3D model for that case? I will understand if you can’t share, not a problem.

Cheers.

1 Like

That’s neat! I’m doing mostly the same thing right now but I decided to go the fully enclosed way removing the M2 case so that the antenna cable is fully internal. The battery pack is still external, but that was because I wanted something very compact.

2 Likes

The battery is 4 18650 lithium Ion cells wired 2s2p. There in a 3d printed case with three points of contact. Two are for the M2 case and the third is used as a balance lead for charging. For sure I can share, I’ll just have to dig the stl’s up, but I’ll be tied up for a few days with work.

4 Likes

What model is that antenna and where to get please. Thanks!

1 Like

The battery is four 18650 cells wired 2s2p. The case for the battery has 3 2mm female pins so you can balance charge the pack. The display is just something I had kicking around from some RC jets stuff. I’ll post the stl’s.

2 Likes

It’s a Novatel OEM with a 3D printed case from Pheonix Lidar. The reason I did the 1/4 turn mount was so I could swap it from the Lidar scanner to the rover quickly.

1 Like

Here are the stl files for the rover case, battery and antenna 1/4 mount. Rover case for Emlid M2 and Lora radio by srbell - Thingiverse

1 Like

People, make sure to print using at least ABS for high heat tolerance. ASA best as provides better high heat tolerance PLUS UV resistance for outdoor use. PLA and PETG will warp much quicker under heat and break down in outdoor use.

Then you have nylons, polycarbonates, carbon fiber, glass filled, etc.

1 Like

Wonder the best way to keep the M2 etc ventilated and/or cooled inside these custom cases? The RS2 uses the metal thread mount as a heatsink. Wonder if the RS2 has a vent hole or something also being completly sealed and IP67?

Wonder the same for the RS/RS+?

This M2 case is actually open from the bottom. I’ve been running an M2 in a bathymetry boat for a while now that is completely waterproof with no overheating issues. But then again I’m always scanning with a fair bit of wave action, so it could be water cooling lol!

3 Likes

I love printing with ABS as I

can use solvent glues. I only suggested petg for those without enclosures. Or just build yourself an enclosure. Sure makes life easier.

5 Likes

Nice setup. The price of acrylic is just indecent since two years ago so I used 1/4 MDF ceiling tiles for everything but the door on something similar.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.