Navio2 with a serial USB easy-radio

Hi,
I achieve to configure my navio2 with ethernet and wifi AP and I would like to use an easy-radio usb dongle for a mavlink.
I configure the 2 radio dongles for 115kbaud. I struggle with the option “-C” or “-A”, QGC seems to read something (confirmed with putty) but it doesn’t work like wifi or ethernet.

What can I hope from this radio dongle and how can I configure it ?

Hi @Tomlogan,

Sorry for the delayed response!

For your setup, I believe the “-C” option for USB to be appropriate.

Could you share your ArduCopter configuration file so that we could look into it in more detail?

HI @polina.buriak,
Thanks for your reply, here is my config file for ardurover (for a boat config) :

TELEM2="-C /dev/ttyUSB0"                                                                            
TELEM1="-A udp:10.3.141.163:14550"                                                                    
TELEM3="-B /dev/pts/1"                                                                              
                                                                                               
# Options to pass to ArduPilot                                                                        
ARDUPILOT_OPTS="$TELEM1 $TELEM2 $TELEM3"`

Hi @Tomlogan,

May I ask you to post the result of the following command as well?

  • dmesg | grep -i tty

Please, run this after you connect your radios.

1 Like

Hello @polina.buriak,
Sorry for my late answer, I wasn’t working on that subject.

Here is the output :

[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: 8250.nr_uarts=1 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=656 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=416 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x40000000 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait bcm2708.w1_gpio_pin=18
[ 0.001141] console [tty1] enabled
[ 1.162760] 3f201000.serial: ttyAMA0 at MMIO 0x3f201000 (irq = 87, base_baud = 0) is a PL011 rev2
[ 2896.020764] usb 1-1.1.2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

with both antennas :

dmesg | grep -i tty
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: 8250.nr_uarts=1 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=656 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=416 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x40000000 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait bcm2708.w1_gpio_pin=18
[ 0.001141] console [tty1] enabled
[ 1.162760] 3f201000.serial: ttyAMA0 at MMIO 0x3f201000 (irq = 87, base_baud = 0) is a PL011 rev2
[ 2896.020764] usb 1-1.1.2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[ 3018.457587] usb 1-1.3: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1

Hi @Tomlogan,

Sorry for the delayed response!

May I ask you if you have checked the default baud rates in the QGC?

Yes I checked.
Before using QGC, I prefer use putty to be sure of baudrate parameters.

Hi @Tomlogan,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

May I ask you to post the output of the command systemctl status arducopter?

Also, could you please confirm that the issue is that your radio dongles are not recognized? Please, feel free to correct me.

Hi @polina.buriak,
Here is the output :

arducopter.service - ArduPilot for Linux
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/arducopter.service; disabled; vendor preset: ena
Active: inactive (dead)

I don’t get it, do you mean ardurover ?
If it is the case, here is the output

ardurover.service - ArduPilot for Linux
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/ardurover.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabl
Active: active (running) since Thu 2019-12-19 13:26:18 GMT; 2 weeks 3 days ago
Docs: https://docs.emlid.com/navio2/navio-ardupilot/installation-and-running/#auto
Main PID: 419 (ardurover)
Tasks: 7 (limit: 4915)
Memory: 9.6M
CGroup: /system.slice/ardurover.service
└─419 /usr/bin/ardurover -A udp:147.250.35.51:14650 -F /dev/ttyUSB0 -B /dev/

Jan 06 08:08:06 navio bash[419]: $PGCMD,16,0,0,0,0,06A
Jan 06 08:08:06 navio bash[419]: $PSRF100,0,38400,8,1,0
3C
Jan 06 08:08:07 navio bash[419]: [5B blob data]
Jan 06 08:08:07 navio bash[419]: [37B blob data]
Jan 06 08:08:07 navio bash[419]: $PGCMD,16,0,0,0,0,06A
Jan 06 08:08:07 navio bash[419]: $PSRF100,0,38400,8,1,0
3C
Jan 06 08:08:08 navio bash[419]: [5B blob data]
Jan 06 08:08:08 navio bash[419]: [37B blob data]
Jan 06 08:08:08 navio bash[419]: $PGCMD,16,0,0,0,0,06A
Jan 06 08:08:08 navio bash[419]: $PSRF100,0,38400,8,1,0
3C

I finally change the dongle I used with the holybro dongle.
Works great.

Hi @Tomlogan,

Thanks for the update! It’s great to hear everything works fine now :slightly_smiling_face: