Navio2 setup sequence. Frustrating or what!

Firstly can I just say that the Navio2 board is a nice clean design. But what should be a relitivly straight forward instalation and configuration is turning into just one long continuous reimaging and starting over. The Navio2 documentation just seems out of date and the sequence just seems to corrupt previous steps.
One other thing is the use of esc’s with becs. the majority of systems use opto esc’s so do we add another power source?
Okay

1. write image to SD card.
  2. setup wifi (adding my Ssid and password is not the only thing that needs doing)
  3. install APM
  4. instal gstreamer
  5. Gstreamer screws the APM file and folder structure. APM no longer starts.
  6. goto 1)
  7. setup wifi
  8. install gstreamer
  9. update rpi
  10. update raspian messes up the navio kernel.
  11. go to 1)
  12. setup wifi
  13. install gstreamer
  14. install APM Works!!
  15. Start the setup through Mission planer with USB lead
  16. attach 3DR data link radio to navio via uart. Connection fails
  17. attach 3DR data link radio to navio via usb, Connection works but the command to use Ttyusb0 ? is not written any where and why doesn’t it work through the port on the navio2

why can’t we have manufacturers definitive sequence of instalation? Along with some don’t do this as it will bugger everything you have done to date. Why spend so much money only developing a product then letting it down by not updating the documentation, and testing the sequence for that matter.

It’s incredibly frustrating. Why does the supplied image not include APM, gstreamer, wifi tools, raspian that’s upto date etc.

If someone could list out the right way of doing this, I and a few others that just want to get this GNSS product in the air woul be very great full.

I’m not even sure which way the GPS aerial is supposed to be mounted. Is it directional? And if this is centimetre accurate then does it use rtklib if so when does that get installed and how does it use it.

I don’t think I’m the only one the forum is so full of others having so many issues that could be rectified buy document controls A very frustrated customer.

1 Like

@Multirotorcraft

Currently we are working on a new enhanced image with APM\Gstreamer pre-installed and other features, but this is not as simple as installing it and making a snapshot of the card. We need to do a lot of programming, configuring and testing. Documentation will be updated as well.

Gstreamer installation should not affect APM files and folders in any way, it had probably happened due to another reason.

GPS antenna is not directional, you can place it any direction you like. Centimeter accuracy is a feature of our other product - Reach.

1 Like

You’re right !

1 Like

I have found emlid’s documentation to be excellent. This paired with the large body of documentation on the apm wiki has yet to let me down. Emlid was even nice enough to link to the important sections in the apm wiki in their documentation.

I think its great emlid is making installation even more idiot proof by developing a pre configured image that includes commonly used extras. It should help those who can’t seem to wrap their heads around the process.

Good luck with your build, looking forward to seeing the end results.

I agree to a point I have absolutly no problem with apm wiki but thats a different copany.
Right now im trying again and cant get to tuhe APM files at files.emlid.com more frustration and in the code to get apm is that a -o -0 or -O can you tell all i get now is a >_ flashing

Hi Mikhail

Thanks for yor reply. I’ve been through it all again and now back where I started. It worked long enough for me to get APM configured but when starting ArduCopter-Quad I now get

Unable to open /dev/spidev0.1 no such file or directory
SPIDriver: unable to open SPI BUS

This has been posted before but nobody has answered.

I hope you can shed some light on this as I don’t want to start again. At the moment we build everything with Pixhawk, SAR, police, fire and rescue, land survey, agri. I was planing on taking this opertunity to move on but now I find that the navio2 is no more accurate than a Pixhawk unless used with reach I guess. So at the moment I don’t see the point. I appreciate that others can exploit the rpi far better than me but now I find that I can’t use an i2c bus to connect a remote led, USB, flow control, sonar and or a airspeed sensor?

Please correct me if I’m wrong but can you give me a really good example as to why this is better than a Pixhawk? Is it the GPS? Barometer? IMU or even the ARM CPU etc. As at the moment it just seems to be an R&D platform.

When I started reading about it I’m sure I saw realtime flight paths that were far more accurate than any other system. But as you said that may have been reach.

All the best

Andrew

@Multirotorcraft there’s an excellent explanation from @CodeChief of the difference between Navio+ and APM\Pixhawk. Applicable to Navio2 as well.