Navio2 RPI 3 - default Raspbian

Hi,

I do interested in my own distro of Raspbian to work on RPI3 and Navio2 - I was setting up a lot of different things in this distro for RPI 2 + Navio+ and making everything again from scratch is not an option at all - is there an ability to make Navio2 work on normal Raspbian distro? I’m not going to use it for copters - Rover version. Thanks.

@seregus
What do you mean normal?

There’s a couple of changes that have been made in order to adjust Raspbian to work properly with Navio and make it easier for our users to screw up some random things. So you’ll need to be a little more precise. The main question is: what is the matter with our image and why’d you want to do such a thing as making and maintaining yet another one modified Raspbian image?

Well, there is a very efficient webcam streaming project, way outperforming everything else on RPI (it’s called UV4L):
http://www.linux-projects.org/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=14

And it’s impossible to use on your version…

@seregus

After a quick look at these debs I don’t see why that’s not possible. I’ll look into more closely tomorrow. In most cases answer to your initial question is a no but in case of a rover there’re options because it doesn’t have so strict realtime requirements as copters.
Either way, even if we work something out with a default Raspbian and something goes awry, please don’t hold a grudge.

Thanks for looking into. I actually contacted UV4L owner - and he relied quite quickly. Hope you can find out how to allow to use the fastest video streaming thing - it’s twice faster compared to motion, ffmpeg, jpg-streamer, gstreamer and name a few more I’ve tried.

Hi! Long time - I’ve found a way for downloading debian packages of UV4l:
http://www.linux-projects.org/listing/uv4l_repo/raspbian/pool/main/u/

And here result of dependency, which is causing problems:
root@navio:/home/pi# dpkg -i uv4l-raspicam_1.9.40_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package uv4l-raspicam.
(Reading database … 54136 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack uv4l-raspicam_1.9.40_armhf.deb …
Unpacking uv4l-raspicam (1.9.40) …
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of uv4l-raspicam:
uv4l-raspicam depends on libraspberrypi0 (>= 1.20140908-1); however:
Package libraspberrypi0 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package uv4l-raspicam (–install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
uv4l-raspicam

Hope you can help here?

Yep, I know what this problem is about. This is a rather tedious one to fix yourself. I’ll add the fix to the next release. In the meantime, I suggest using a hacked version like this:

1. First remove the wrong configured package

sudo apt-get remove uv4l-raspicam

1. wget files.emlid.com/uv4l-raspicam_1.9.40_armhf_hack.deb
  2. sudo apt-get dpkg -i uv4l-raspicam_1.9.40_armhf_hack.deb && sudo apt-get install -f

This sequence got me to a state with the installed uv4l-raspicam package.

Wow!!! Yes! Thank you so much! My project can now go to the next steps! Thanks a LOT!

I’m delighted it’s helped.

2 Likes