Navio2 and Odroid XU4

Will Navio2 work with Odroid XU4?

1 Like

The navio2 wont work with Odroid XU4 unfortunately (octa core )

Do you know by any chance what is the reason for that?

Odroid has different connector with incompatible pinout. From our experience with C1, driver support for Odroid is very poor as well.

Hi,

If I understood correctly what I have been reading lately Odroid XU4 can be made compatible with the Rapsberry Pi GPIO connector by using the XU4 Shifter board. It would however only provide compatibility with 36 out of the 40 pins in the Pi GPIO connector. The differences would be at the end of the 40 pin connector for 1.8V out, two ADC outputs, and a PowerOn signal (pins 35, 37, 38, and 40).
Also Hardkernel has released a port of wiringPi for the XU4.
I have seen some reviews where lots of Rapsberry Pi specific expander boards where tested successfully on the Odroid XU4 by usage of the above mentioned XU4 shifter board in combination with the wiringPi library.

Are my observations correct? Is there any intention to check on this combination of Navio2 and Odroid XU4 or has your experience in the past with C1 (although this was last year and in 6 months a lot has changed) definitively canceled out any compatibility checks with Odroid?

Navio2 uses AUXSPI on Raspberry Pi, which is not available on shifter board. It is used to communicate with RCIO co-processor. There is also a UART available on it for compatibility with Odroid C1+, but we are not going to support it. In case someone would like to change the firmware and Linux driver to work that way source code will be released soon.

If there is a uart available for compatibility with the c1+ why aren’t you guys going to support it? Is this something that was planned initially but scrapped down the road? It seems like it may be better to create a board specific for the xu4 if that is what I want.

I can understand that out of a business point of view, choices are being made for existing, well supported and well adopted platforms. However, the whole idea of having the APM flight stack running on Linux, is because of the fact you could take advantage of everything else that is possible with a Linux environment (hardware and software). But of course this takes additional system resources which are already loaded with a mission critical service such as your APM. Based on performance (and a purely technical point of view) ODROID XU4 seems a better choice to achieve this. Are there any plans to have (in parallel or as a successor of NAVIO2) other single board platforms supported?

+1

Raspberry Pi 2 is the most polished single board computer ever and it still took us about 3 months of intensive development to deliver good support for Navio2. It might look like we are just manufacturing the boards, but actually mostly we are working on Linux images and APM support underlying our devices. We have no intention to move to XU4/C1/Pine/XXX_Pi simply because we will not be able to provide reliably working solution. Smoothly working software and good support are more important than higher DMIPS numbers.

Our experience with trying to support C1 showed that it is not anywhere near as polished. Drivers were buggy and overall platform lacked support. We are not going into fixing drivers for Odroid.

1 Like

I completely understand your point (being myself for more than a couple of decades in IT), but this means that (in case opting for Navio) we are binded to the limitations of a Raspberry Pi, which was basically designed for educational reasons and not to support a large set of functionality running next to APM… This then should be moved to one or more companion (single) board computers…

Hello,

Is there a chance to see Navio2 running with XU4 soon ?

Matt

1 Like

Any news on Odroid support?

Hi @ddomit1,

In the meantime, we don’t have plans on supporting Odroid.