Navio on TBS Caipirinha

Hi,
I’m a beginner into DIY drones. I have some experience with real plane piloting, quadcopter (DJI Phantom2) and also with computer software (my actual job).
I’m looking to create my own drone customized to my needs.

I want to try with something not too complicated since it’s the first drone I’m building, but I want it also to be evolvable in the future.
I want a wing to get the same sensations as flying a plane, at first I don’t care if I’m limited by the range but later on I want to be able to use a 4G modem for video, telemetry and control of the plane.

After looking into different websites, I found the TBS Caipirinha interesting.

I’ve seen that they are already selling kits but I would like to buy only the necessary parts I need.

Looking for your advices and help

Merry Xmas,
John

Hi,

the Caipirinha is really small. Fitting all the parts into or more likely onto it will be hard.
It is made for a specific set of hardware that fits into the premolded pockets. Of course you can cut the foam to your liking, but cutting a pocket for a Raspberry Pi will remove a substantial part of the foam.
Putting the Pi/Navio on top of the Caipi will mess up the aerodynamics, I guess.
I would use a wing with a pod or fuselage, so all electronics can be put inside and be somewhat protected. A Skywalker X-6 or Hobbyking Skyray for example.
Good luck with your project,

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian
Thanks for your answer,
For sure I don’t want something where I need to cut the wing, I don’t have enough experience to mess with that.
I’ve looked at the 2 models you mentioned and they seem like a little big for me, so I’m not sure. Are there any thing closer to the size (wingspan mainly) of the caipi ?

Thanks

Since you have experience with man carrying aircraft, you understand the problem with wingloading. The more weight you add to a given airframe, the more speed you need to get it flying, until you reach a point where it will not fly anymore.
The smaller the airframe, the narrower that window will be.
Why are you set on such a small wing?
1200 to 1500mm is not that big and both of my suggedtions have removable wings.

I was looking for something compact to carry on (I live in the city, so I need to get out by bus to make it fly), so this was my main concern with bigger wings.

Anyway I still need to do some research and define exactly what I want to achieve. It’ll take at least a good month :slight_smile:

Cheers