Navio GPS doesn’t see satellites

Hello!
Please help. I have a problem with GPS on the Navio 2. For some reason it doesn’t see a single satellite.

I use Raspberry Pi 3b+ connected to Qgroundcontrol by MAVProxy in a local Wi-Fi network.

ArduCopter v4.0.3
Qgroundcontrol v4.2.0 (also tried v3.5 and 3.2)
MacOS Big Sur

Hi Seva,

Welcome to our forum!

Can you please double-check that the antenna’s connector is tightly inserted in the Navio2 connector? If it sits tight, please run the emlidtool test. It will check if the Navio2 chips pass the tests.

Hello, Liudmila. Thank you for the answer!

I checked the antenna connector, it is tightly inserted.
Emlidtool test said everything works properly. Here is the screenshot

1 Like

Seva,

Thanks for the test! I see that everything is fine with the GNSS chip of Navio2, indeed. To check whether the antenna receives a signal, please run this example in Python or C++. If you see the readings, the antenna works fine, too. In such a case, something is wrong with the configuration of QGroundControl, but let’s check the antenna first.

I’ve run the example. It seems like antenna doesn’t see its position

Hello, Liudmila!
Thank you for all your previous support.
Is there anything I could do to fix my GPS antenna?

Hi Seva,

Thanks for your patience!

Just to double-check: have you placed the antenna outside when running the example? The antenna needs to be provided with an open sky view to get the GNSS signal.

Do you have another antenna to test Navio2 with? If it works with a different antenna, the issue is with the original one.

Hello!
Yes, I tested it outside on the open sky.
Unfortunately I have only one gps antenna.

Hi Seva,

I see! Can you please reflash the SD card and try to test the antenna once again?

I’ve also messaged you in PM to clarify some sensitive info.

Hello, Liudmila
I reflashed the SD card, but it didn’t help. Unfortunately the antenna test gave the same results

I just wanted to update anyone following this thread that we’re continuing the troubleshooting with Seva over the private correspondence.

Hello, Liudmila!

The local Emlid representative came to me and gave me another antenna. I ran the example that you advised me earlier. The example showed that the new antenna also does not see the position as the old one. I gave the new antenna back. Are there any other ways to identify the problem?


Here is the result of running the example with the new antenna

pi@navio:~ $ cd Navio2
pi@navio:~/Navio2 $ cd Python
pi@navio:~/Navio2/Python $ python GPS.py
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3751849728
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3751856128
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3751887872
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3751919616
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3751951872
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3751984128
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3752016640
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3752049408
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3752082688
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3752115968
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3752218112
 gpsFix=0
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3752287488
 Longitude=0 Latitude=0 height=0 hMSL=-17000 hAcc=4294967295 vAcc=3752322560
 gpsFix=0
 gpsFix=0
 gpsFix=0

Establishing a MAVProxy connection

pi@navio:~ $ mavproxy.py --master=udp:127.0.0.1:14550 --out=tcpin:0.0.0.0:5760
Connect udp:127.0.0.1:14550 source_system=255
Failed to load module: No module named terrain. Use 'set moddebug 3' in the MAVProxy console to enable traceback
Log Directory: 
Telemetry log: mav.tlog
Waiting for heartbeat from 127.0.0.1:14550
 MAV> online system 1
STABILIZE> Mode STABILIZE
APM: ArduCopter V4.0.3 (296bb047)
APM: 8cce64f2fb5f4ba78e7d600e9e36c787
APM: Frame: UNKNOWN
APM: PreArm: check firmware or FRAME_CLASS
APM: PreArm: Throttle below Failsafe
APM: PreArm: 3D Accel calibration needed
APM: PreArm: Compass not calibrated
APM: PreArm: Radio failsafe on
APM: GPS 1: detected as u-blox at 115200 baud
Received 991 parameters
Saved 991 parameters to mav.parm
APM: GPS 1: detected as u-blox at 115200 baud
APM: PreArm: check firmware or FRAME_CLASS
APM: PreArm: Throttle below Failsafe
APM: PreArm: 3D Accel calibration needed
APM: PreArm: Compass not calibrated
APM: PreArm: Radio failsafe on
MAV> APM: PreArm: check firmware or FRAME_CLASS
APM: PreArm: Throttle below Failsafe
APM: PreArm: 3D Accel calibration needed
APM: PreArm: Compass not calibrated
APM: PreArm: Radio failsafe on
APM: u-blox 1 HW: 00080000 SW: EXT CORE 3.01 (107900)
APM: PreArm: check firmware or FRAME_CLASS
APM: PreArm: Throttle below Failsafe
APM: PreArm: 3D Accel calibration needed
APM: PreArm: Compass not calibrated
APM: PreArm: Radio failsafe on


I tested it outside


Qgroundcontrol doesn’t see satellites with the new antenna


Here is the output of the command sudo emlidtool ardupilot with disabled autopilot.


sudo emlidtool ardupilot with enabled autopilot.

Hi Seva,

Thanks for the detailed reply! So, the issue is not with the Navio2 antenna—it’s good that we’ve figured this out. I’m currently checking with the devs on the further steps here. I’ll get back with the news soon.

1 Like