Navio Beta 3 Country Code In wpa_supplicant

I see at some point the country code was added to top of wpa_supplicant

country=GB
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

I am guessing this was in response to some reported bugs in the Raspbian interface when setting country codes. If it stays in the Emlid distro then it’s likely a good idea to document it. I know that my wireless driver is set to hint CRDA to US so I usually just delete the line in wpa_supplicant to let the driver handle it. But that may not be the best approach for all as it seems to depend on the wireless device and driver. Here are some of the issues:

• Wrong country code may allow WiFi device to operate on channels and at power settings not allowed for current location
  • May not be able to associate with an AP
  • Simply deleting the line may end up setting world regulatory environment which is not as permissive as most country regs.
  • If you have two WiFi devices active CRDA uses the setting from the first device to register for both cards.
  • If the driver setting conflicts with the wpa_supplicant setting you may get bumped to world regulatory domain

So not at all sure if it’s better to leave it and document it or just remove it and hope the wireless driver will take care of it. Or hopefully some other simple solution?

here’s what i get with iw reg get after fresh install and removing the country line from wpa_supplicant

country US: DFS-UNSET
        (2302 - 2742 @ 40), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
        (4910 - 5835 @ 160), (N/A, 30), (N/A)

that’s on an RPi3 running built in broadcom wifi

Thanks for noticing! We’ll fix it right away.

This is standard for default Raspbian images. That’s why it slipped into our releases as well.