Navio 2 Raspberry 4

I am a newbie and looking for guidance to setup Navio2. As of now it is kind of a struggle.

I managed to install Emlid version of the OS successfully. Then got frame, and other sensors configured using QGroundControl. As I try to calibrate the battery (3000 mah, 11.1 v, 3 S) the Navio power module started smoking from the 5V jack connected to Navio2 and then I unplug the battery. It look like not damaged NAVIO but both end of the 5V jack has melted wires.

What could be the reason for smoking, how should I diagnose this?

I am not using a RC but want to get the stuff working without it. So I am having lack of documentation to figure my way.

How I know and verify if power module, power distribution board (3S - 4S) and ESC (EMAX Bell Helli 30 A) and motors working without the RC. IS there any guideline document that I can refer to…

I was looking to build a fully automatic drone. But still I bought a RC. I mean I had a RC but even before I tried it I got it (Taranis X9D 2019 plus) burned. It seems like I am having a burning start…

Thank you very much for reading this… Any help is appreciated

I would suggest to look into the ardupilot documentation here: First Time Setup — Copter documentation

Thanks!
But you guys may know these things already but since I am new I have some basic questions. So on Navio2 I can’t figure where to plug the buzzer. Can anyone help?

Hi Nirosh,

What power module have you used? Was it from us? If so, then it should be able to work with your battery pack. The overheating might be caused by a malfunctioning power module or because the connection was done wrong. The only safe way to check if the power module is still alive is to check the voltage on its pins with a multimeter. Thus the Navio2 power wire voltage should be within 4.8-5.3V range. Otherwise, you need to replace the power module. If you got one from Emlid Store, please send us an email on support@emlid.com and we will arrange that.

In your drone, besides the power module, the ESC and motors must also be compatible with the battery used (number of serial and parallel cells). Otherwise, this may lead to electrical issues or failures. As David has already mentioned, you can check ArduPilot’s first-time setup guide. You can also find useful our Navio2’s hardware setup guide.

Regarding the buzzer - you can connect it to the servo rail and use GPIO pins for control. The servo rail is not connected to Navio2 directly. To operate the buzzer, you need to ground the servo rail. For instance, by connecting one of the “-” pins to UART’s “GND”. Here’s an example with Raspberry without Navio2.

Please note, that GPIO’s voltage cannot exceed 3.3V and the current draw should be less than 16 mA. If the buzzer can work in this range it can be connected directly to GPIO. Otherwise, you must use an amplifier circuit.

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes that was a polarisation issue… a very bad mistake from my side… the power unit is soldered the wrong way… and luckily nothing is damaged. Once corrected all seems working and seems in order.

Is there any documentation that I can refer for me to get the motor working without the transmitter?

Hi Nirosh,

If you want to control your drone without a remote controller you can use ground control station for communication and mission uploading. Navio2 supports the following ground control stations: ArduPilot’s Mission Planner, QGroundControl, APM Planner, and MavProxy. They allow you to automate the whole flying process: takeoff, waypoints, and landing.

You can find a step-by-step tutorial at their web sites. For example, here’s the one for the Mission Planner.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.