Navio 2 problem with calibrating ESCs with joystick

Dear All ,

We have been working on a quadcopter project as graduation project for the university but untill now we are unable to make the motors spin :disappointed:

We are using the following :
1-Raspberry PI3
2- Navio2
3- DJI 2312 / 960kv
4- Favourite Sky 3 Quatro ESC
5-3S Lipo Battery
6- X box Joystick ( to control the quad without an RC )

The SD Card of the raspberry has the Emlid Raspbian image installed on beside the sources downloaded from internet using the commands provided .
We are using Mission Planner . We have done the compass Calibration and Accel. calibration and the joystick has been setup properly.
The ESC wires are connected to pins 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 respectively , and only 1 power source for the esc is provided .
We are able to connect to the navio through Mission Planner and access to everything .
When trying to test the motors using Mission Planner , the navio 2 led starts flashing but the motors does not spin .
When trying to turn on the motors using the joystick ( offcourse after arming the quad ) the led starts to flash but also the motors does not spin .
We have 10 more days to the deadline and the quad still didnt raise in the air .
Your help and reply would be highly appreciated !!

Regards ,
Hasan Bazzoun

Hi Hasan,

Could you please post a picture of how everything is connected?

Did you calibrate the ESCs?

No , i think this is the problem and i dont find a guide for navio to do it , all the guides are for RC but we are using a joystick … NO RC AT ALL … how can I do the esc calibration ?

Do you have a radio to calibrate with? There has been similar issues discussed on the forum…

i only have a joystick …

i think with a joystick it shall be fine right ?

Joystick control is an experimental feature, so there are some difficulties. There are some users on the forum who succeeded. For example:

There are more threads that you can find in search.

Hello again, The ESCS are calibrated but not through NAVIO , but when connected to navio they dont work … do you have any idea ? or they must be calibrated through NAVIO using the GCS ( mission planner ) ??

Hello again, The ESCS are calibrated but not through NAVIO , but when connected to navio they dont work … do you have any idea ? or they must be calibrated through NAVIO using the GCS ( mission planner ) ??

I am working on the same thing Hasan, After combing the forms I have yet to find somebody with a clear post on how to do this the one everybody links (above) uses a console output that I’m not sure how to do. I have tried setting parameters with no luck.

PS I’m in the same boat you are in with my grad school project. I went this way thinking it would be a straight forward way to jumpstart my project into auto flight.

oh i have same and similar problem
i use controller taranis X9D plus

using controller, and connect with RC and servo, it is working very well

but through the navio2 …it is not working~!
so i change example code

i try run this code and servo is running but… i can’t control servo speed~!

i think some code is changed… it will be good

how can i fix this problem?
int main()
{
PWM pwm;

if (check_apm()) {
    return 1;
}

if (!pwm.init(PWM_OUTPUT)) {
    fprintf(stderr, "Output Enable not set. Are you root?\n");
    return 0;
}