My M2's

4 Likes

Very nice looking setup. Could you share what case, heatsinks, and plug you’re using to keep it all water tight?

Any update on operational temps?

2 Likes

Hmm… It will be better than the last time, however, using a heatsink inside a very small enclosure is like peeing in your pants.
The heatsink, with it’s larger surface area, will in this case just take away the heat, but only to a certain when the air inside is saturated. You might see a little lower temperature, as the air is probably pushed around a bit more in the case, and thus touching more of the surface of the box. But given that it is a plastic box, I wouldn’t expect much of an improvement.

My suggestion would be to get a metal box instead, and then have connect the chip surface directly to the metal metal box with thermal compound. If not sufficient, you can always add a heat-sink on the outside of the metal box.

4 Likes

1 Like
1 Like

6 Likes

That’s an excellent rig Will !

1 Like

It looks good what type of radio is you using.

Good stuff. Not to demean, but you might think about rotating the M2 housing 90-degrees for better cable management and protection.

1 Like

yeah i will do that. tnx

3dr

tnx for the tip. cable management

3 Likes

base setup

3 Likes

Most excellent! That should get through some tight spots nicely!

1 Like

That’s excellent Will !! The only thing I would change would be to use survey rods and bipods, base could have a tripod mount for the survey rod. That way you could actually occupy any passive control marks and survey points with better accuracy.

2 Likes

i’ll stick with my monopod its small, easy to carry and adjust. im building a cheap diy bipod

1 Like

2 Likes

Nice setup!. Which antenna are you using? What could be the maximum length for the cable to the antenna?

harxon500, i use 1 meter length rg58 cable

1 Like

If you do a Google search for RG58 line loss you will find calculators for about any type of coax cable out there and what lengths can be used without loss

1 Like