My M2's

Rain proff m2 hope it won’t overheat

9 Likes

I like the case for M2 and helical antenna mount ! I’m going to have a rethink on my existing design to include LoRa

I am getting into my busy season with fall harvest and drainage installation. My M2 base project is on hold right now.

I am putting everything in a piece of 5" PVC with a small PC fan to circulate air for heat displacement. It has solar cells up top where the helical antenna mounts to run the unit or charge the NICD battery pack. Lora radio inside with M2 with external couplers out the bottom for Lora and power input

2 Likes

Looks like a great design !

1 Like

Good thing we are going into fall. I don’t know where you are or what your hot days are like, but I would really keep an eye on the temperature the first couple times out. You might think about a micro-fan.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Very nice looking setup. Could you share what case, heatsinks, and plug you’re using to keep it all water tight?

Any update on operational temps?

2 Likes

Hmm… It will be better than the last time, however, using a heatsink inside a very small enclosure is like peeing in your pants.
The heatsink, with it’s larger surface area, will in this case just take away the heat, but only to a certain when the air inside is saturated. You might see a little lower temperature, as the air is probably pushed around a bit more in the case, and thus touching more of the surface of the box. But given that it is a plastic box, I wouldn’t expect much of an improvement.

My suggestion would be to get a metal box instead, and then have connect the chip surface directly to the metal metal box with thermal compound. If not sufficient, you can always add a heat-sink on the outside of the metal box.

4 Likes

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33004178474.html

1 Like
1 Like

6 Likes

That’s an excellent rig Will !

1 Like

It looks good what type of radio is you using.

Good stuff. Not to demean, but you might think about rotating the M2 housing 90-degrees for better cable management and protection.

1 Like

yeah i will do that. tnx

3dr

tnx for the tip. cable management

3 Likes

base setup

3 Likes

Most excellent! That should get through some tight spots nicely!

1 Like

That’s excellent Will !! The only thing I would change would be to use survey rods and bipods, base could have a tripod mount for the survey rod. That way you could actually occupy any passive control marks and survey points with better accuracy.

2 Likes