My M2 setup

Is helical antenna as good as bigger antenna like GPS500?

Unless you are doing this with OPUS, it is a great little antenna!

I think they got their RS2 in the database now but not the helical.

i havent use hilex antenna yet

Yep, RS2 is in database and will be testing on known NGS control this weekend. The problem with helical antennas from what I understand is the phase centers are hard to determine, I may be wrong though. However, there’s no helical in their database from my research. That itself tells me something.

As said above and tested, they are good antennas

It’s small and light weight, see pics above in my post

Great design Joseph !

Here’s an example using helical antenna on known NGS control station, good results

Could you simply have cut an opening in the case top and stuck the heatsink fins through? You might be able to skip the fan that way.

when using hilica antenna on a survey pole, how to measure the pole height?

To the base of the antenna, for PP you can use the phase centers per Emlid’s website for the L1 and L2 frequencies of the helical antenna they sell

When I set up the antenna model in GNSS Solutions (no longer supported), I just used the 0.037m spec for both frequencies. There’s not but 5mm difference in both offsets and is really insignificant due to height measurement and error in the rod plumbing to vertical. I’ve since measured on a couple of other NGS marks since the observation shown above using the helical and the vertical component in the reduction was less than 2cm.

The sight I observed above has a communication tower installed since the original installation of the control mark (ST PAUL). I’ve had issues with multi-path due to the radio interference at this point many times even using our world class Javad receivers. It’s a convenient control mark just a mile from my house, but I seldom use any more due to the tower issue.

1 Like

The antenna sold and recommended by emlid in the M2 kit is the Tallysman HC871, see its specifications in the datasheet.

https://www.tallysman.com/app/uploads/2018/03/Tallysman®-HC871-Datasheet.pdf

2 Likes

Yep, same antenna, same PCV AND PCO

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.