My drone can't take off

Hello everyone!

I made a project with raspberry pi 2 and navio + using the dji e600 motors. Apparently everything is running perfectly, however when I try to take off, i can’t. I made couple of videos to show you what happened.

Can’t take off: Can't take off - YouTube

Servos configuration: Rotation Configuration - YouTube

Hello @netxingnet,

One thing that I have noticed on your video is this strange default stick position. It looks like you take off in Stabilize and as your pitch stick is low, copter tries to achieve maximal pitch and touches the ground.

How could you have both stick down by default?

The spring on your gimbal is loose or broken. This video shows you how to adjust, you can even change between mode 1 and 2 that way:

Depending on whether you wanted mode 1 or 2 it’ll be left or right stick centred normally. Of course the one which is not centred (at the bottom) is the throttle, the pitch/yaw must be centred else you do those lovely flips :-/ Here’s a summary:

I fly mode 2 which appears to be common for quadcopters or at least outside the US. But I know a helicopter pilot here who says mode 1 is normal for him. Mode 2 seems natural for me, coming originally from an XBOX controller where the right stick normally controls forwards/backwards/left/right :smile: at lest in stabilize mode.

If the gimbal is broken here’s how to replace:

Dealers (for parts):
http://www.frsky-rc.com/contact/dealer.php

Example price in Europe (not too bad): TARANIS X9D Knüppelaggregat - Engel Modellbau + Technik

Thanks, you guys were right. i had to made an adjustment in the spring.

However i am still having the same problem with the drone, one thing that i was wondering is if the navio and raspberry pi have to be in the middle of the drone frame, because i installed them in the tail of the frame, that could be the problem to keep the balance when it tries to take off or it doesn’t matter?

Test the motors by removing the props, arming then increase the throttle. Lift the drone up in the air and tilt side to side and front to back. If your compass, gyro and accelerometer are working correctly you should get the feeling the motor which is tilting down increases speed (because the drone is trying to correct the angle and come back to level, at lest in stabilize mode we assume you are in to start with/beginner mode).

If the motors and other equipment see correct, examine the props to make sure you were not accidentally sent a pusher prop and really have them on the right way around. Many props look like a wing so are easy to see the correct direction, but I have seen some which have such a curved design on both sides that it would be easy to install them the wrong way around. Typically the writing should be upwards.

I presume you did the ESC calibration, to make sure they are kicking-in at the same throttle level?

With the Navio+ there is no arm switch so you have to do the ESC calibration mode switch using parameters sent from the ground station.

As a very last resort, if you have some issue with props, you could try mounting just one prop on each corner (one at a time to minimize risk of injury!) then holding the rest of the frame very tight, increase the throttle a little bit and make sure it generates lift instead of pulling down.

Thank you @CodeChief very illustrative answer. I am using the dji e600 servos, so they do not need calibration, the level from the throttle was great for each one; however i started hearing a noise when i was doing the radio calibration and after a few seconds a saw smoke from one of my servos, so i assumed that that motor was the initial problem. I will order a new one, and i will follow your steps again. Moreover, i have a question depending in my frame type, do you think is it a V type or X style? Thanks again