My Base and Rover setup

Just sharing a few pics of my setup to maybe help others with ideas on where to start, or what to improve from my setups. Nothing major here, and pretty basic, DIY and cheap was my number one goal here.

Sure, it’s not “professional” looking, but it works great!

Base…

2.5"x5" Tupperware container

• lined with copper tape

Rmrc 5/6v bec with on/off switch

Reach module

• standard/included antenna

3dr clone radio

• OTG/USB

1100mah 3s battery

Basic 82" tripod

• set at 78"(top of ground plane to match rover)

Clamp on bubble level

6" ground plane

• lined with copper tape

5" acrylic dome

Random zip ties

Rover…

2.5"x5" Tupperware container

• lined with copper tape

Rmrc 5/6v bec with on/off switch

Reach module

• standard/included antenna

3dr clone radio

• df13 plug

1100mah 3s battery

3/4" pvc pipe

• caps on each end
  • small machine screw out the bottom to act as a “point”
  • small machine screw out of the top to hold ground plane
  • total height to top of ground plane is 78"

Clamp on bubble level

6" ground plane

• lined with copper tape

5" acrylic dome

Random zip ties

3 Likes

Nice work! I like my Reach RS but I have some pretty fond memories of working with the Reach boards. What kind of a battery do you have in there?

1100mah 3s

Nice.I should order one. I have always just used the little usb power packs. They work fine but you have to use the built-in switch to turn them on. How do you charge these? Do you have to open up your container? I see your on-off switch. Would you mind sharing a link to that as well?

I am at work now but I can post more pics later this evening.

I have an Rc battery charger that I’ve had for years for my planes and helicopters. It’s fairly cheap. I’ll hunt down some links for ya a bit later.

Yes, I open up the Tupperware container and remove the battery for charging. But once it’s charged and installed back into the container, I can then use the on/off switch from the BEC.

BEC…

1 Like

sorry for snooping, but is your house underwater or is that an aquarium in the wall?

1 Like

I had a custom sized tank built, and then my dad and I installed it into my basement wall! Reef keeping is my true hobby.

Custom 90gal in wall reef, 40gal filter system, 30gal frag tank to grow more corals. This reef is about 8yrs old.

The “other” side of the wall is my furnace room, which is where all my equipment sits out of sight.

And let me note: Everything you see inside that tank is 100% real living coral, absolutely no fake decorations! Lol

3 Likes

wow that is pure cool :sunglasses:

3 Likes

My battery charger as requested; sorry for the delay…(side note, I balance charge all my lipos, not only for battery life, but safety). This battery charger for most will be over kill unless you also partake in the RC hobby. I am always charging 4s and 6s batteries so I wanted the power for faster charging.

I made a universal plug in for just about every battery that I have, no more swapping pigtails…

Then I use this size of power supply to power it. I matched the AMP output of the charger to the AMP output of the power supply…(side note, I never max it out at 7amps, but the power is there if needed).

1 Like

Inside of my Tupperware container. Nothing fancy, some what tidy and a few zip ties. Notice the battery plug…

With battery installed…

With lid installed…

3 Likes

This looks like pure replica of mine :star_struck::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.