Moving baseline with three Reach M+

Hi all,

I currently use a Reach M+ as a base and another one on a rover with RTK corrections.

Unfortunately my rover often moves slowly resulting in poor GPS headings or no heanding at all (under 0.5m/s).

Theoretically, a third Reach M+ on the rover, separated from the second by a known distance and set up as a base (While receiving corrections from the first Reach), should enhance both positionning and heading accuracy. This setup is called “moving baseline” and is well known in marine positionning.

Though I have read several times that moving baseline is not officially supported, do you have any hack to make that happen? I am open to any suggestion, including Python scripts etc.

Well if you have two rover positions, then easily calculate the azimuth from one rover’s output position to the other. If you use regular processed output like that, then you don’t have to worry about working with moving base mode.

The calculation is commonly called the indirect method. GeodSolve from Geographiclib is capable of that, and I’m sure there are many other ways to do it.

You may want to do a bit of heading averaging or filtering so that it smooths the output.

Thank you bide for your answer!

I did implement my own indirect method with heading computing, averaging and filtering (Within the UTM projection plane though, not in the Lat/Lon space). The results are smooth indeed ,but I am not sure yet about the precision/delay of this method.

Unfortunately, contrary to the “real” moving baseline method the location precision is not improved. I hope that one day this will be implemented on Emlid devices! :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.