Missing log / corrupt file

Hi there, I was collecting observation for a couple of hours but my log file is missing in reachview app (observation from 29 August 2018 13:49). I’m sure after turning OFF logging there was a UBX file but after disconnecting and connecting again this file was gone. It happened to me a few times already.

I connected to the file system via SSH (FileZilla) and the missing file was actually there and stored as a ZIP.
I downloaded it and tried to unzip but I got error unzipping (see attachment).

I’ve got 2 question:

• is there any option to extract this ZIP file and got observation file?
  • how can I get rid of this issue?

My ReachView version. v.2.14.0
System report: SystemReport.zip (175.9 KB)

I think there is a topic like this within a month or so here? Maybe try a quick search to see about it?

Thanks for reply, I’ve done my research but I didn’t find a solution and topics are already closed.

https://community.emlid.com/t/corrupt-or-zero-log-file-size/8155
https://community.emlid.com/t/log-file-disappered/7412
https://community.emlid.com/t/missing-log-files/6827/4

Here’s a short Ubuntu guide on how to get logs from the device in the same situation.

1. SSH to the Reach and go to the “logs” folder
  2. Copy .zip archive on your PC
  3. Install fastjar with sudo apt-get install fastjar
  4. Use jar xvf your-corrupted-archieve.zip command
  5. Extracted file will be in the same directory as .zip.

As it’s not and an ordinary issue, in order to prevent it in the future, I’d recommend to use turn off button in ReachView app. Also, there’s no need in using toggle button in the logging tab, logs will automatically save when you turn off the device.

Thanks, @Magda_Chmielewska, for the help with the troubleshooting.

2 Likes

We too have had log file missing from 3 out of 6 flights in the last two days. This has also happen sporadically over the last few months. We have flown multiple reach base aircraft for the last 18 mounts, and we have never needed to shut the reach down, we simply disconnected the flight battery and there was never any issues with logs.

What firmware are you on?

My apologies for not including that. I will need to double check with the field crew as the aircraft is deployed in remote Western Australia, but it will likely be Reachview 2.16.0. as I updated both aircraft approximately 3 weeks ago.

Hi @Stu74,

Can you answer the following questions, please?

How long was your log?

Do you have any chance to ssh your device?
In that case, we’ll try to check if your logs still on the device.

Did you have a chance to check your firmware version?

Thanks.

Hi Andrew, Sorry for the delay, the equipment was being shipped back to our office.

We have ssh’d into the reach and recovered the log files. Only 2 flights were affected.
One flight zip file extracted OK, the other flight was recovered using fastjar as you have previously outlined.
This log file duration was approximately 40 minutes.

The firmware version is 2.16.0

We have modified out operating procedure to include a proper shutdown of the Reach.

Hi Andrew, a further update to this. Whilst I could extract the UBX file using fast jar, there was a CRC error, and the flight is only partial, only. The file can be downloaded from here;

Hi @Stu74,

Can I ask you to share a full system report and a step-by-step description of your actions, so we could recreate the issue?

Hi Andrew,

The aircraft is back out on another survey project, so I have requested the field crew forward the system report ASAP.

Our actions are as follows. I apologise that I am being relayed this information.

a) The aircraft completed approximately a 2 hours survey flight. Upon landing the flight battery was disconnected, killing power to the Reach
b) Once the aircraft was back at the launch point it was powered up again. The log file from the previous flight was now missing from the list of logs on the logging page
c) Once back in the office, I instructed the field team on how to ssh into the reach using putty and check if the a log zip file for the flight was present . I then instructed them use winSCP to log into the reach and download that file
e) They file was uploaded to dropbox, the same link that I have shared to you, from where I downloaded the zip file, and attempted using the fastjar process you have outlined above

The filed crew advised me of a second scenario they have observed that has resulted in missing files;

a) The aircraft completed approximately a 2 hours survey flight. Upon landing the flight battery was disconnected, killing power to the Reach
b) Once the aircraft was back at the launch point it was powered up again. The log file was present and downloading commenced
c) The downloading fails before the download has completed. This was due to wifi disconnecting, and the reach could not be connected to again without recycling the power.
d) Upon restating the log file has disappeared from this logging page

In this case I had to use the autopilot log for alignment, but it was a small project with a lot of GCPs,

Hi @Stu74,

Thank you for the detailed report and logs.
I’ll investigate this issue and let you know about the result soon.

Hi @Stu74,

Sorry for the late answer.

I did 2 tests that you described in a previous post. However, I couldn’t reproduce your issues.
In each test it was possible to see logs in ReachView v2.16.2, download them and open with RTKLIB.

Please, let me know if you have any similar issues in the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.