Matrice 300 RTK and Emlid Caster

Hi @jfreese,

I’d suggest checking out whether your Internet connection is stable. As Michael has already mentioned, RTK-link via NTRIP protocol depends on the Internet connection’s signal quality. If there’s a poor signal, it might initiate corrections messages delay.

1 Like

According to DJI Support, the Matrice 300 RTK can only use Custom Network RTK on the Mainland, China. Can anyone else confirm this information? Has anyone ever used the Custom RTK Network instead of the D-RTK unit for the Matrice 300?

Hi @jfreese,

We can hardly confirm this as we don’t have such particular details on DJI software capabilities. However, we have tested Reach RS2 with DJI Phantom 4 RTK drone using Custom Network RTK, and it worked fine. Please take a look at this docs section for more detail.

That would be the biggest goof by them ever. The only way that could be true is if they encrypted the corrections stream to something proprietary. You should be able to connect to an NTRIP mount point just like any other RTK receiver. Page 36 of the manual is pretty bland but what I expected to see.

1 Like

Ok, thank you. I responded back to the email a few days ago, for the support person to show me proof in documentation, of course, there are not any docs, and they continued to help. I will try another method of internet connection, a 5G hotspot in my pocket. I want to be able to map areas using the new terrain awareness that was added in Feb 2021, it requires an RTK connection.

I am using a 4G LTE MiFi to run the drone, my data collector and my rover. Works great. Looking forward to seeing your success! :wink:

Are there issues with distance from the data collector for the rover, if both are on the same MiFi? Also, I checked, my service tethers at a max 3G speed. I am upgrading now, to a MiFi, I am thinking of getting the 5G, what are your thoughts, the difference in device cost is $200 US.

I haven’t had any issues except that the MiFi doesn’t throw very far, maybe 50ft so I have to keep it in my pocket. With the data collector and RS2 they have to be on the same network so no issues there. I would go for 5G as long as it is backwards compatible. We started getting 5G in the Austin area but it is pretty spotty.

@michaelL Is there any way you found to take-off with an M300 (with the D-RTK2 base) without an RTK solution and have it get a fix in flight? Scenario is industrial environment, the base can be placed with good sky view, but the M300 must take-off somewhat close to structures and tall buildings. We then do inspection of structures, so we have a great view of the sky after 10 meters high approximately. The M210 RTK used to do this for a short time a few firmware versions back. Thanks

That’s a good question. I would assume you could switch to a mode other than P through the Intelligent Flight modes but I am not certain. Atti mode would be my best guess but you better try that somewhere else just to get an idea of how it flies. Or maybe just toggle RTK off/on…

1 Like

Yeah I tried the RTK toggle, once you turn it off it asks you to land before it will let you turn it back on…

1 Like

My RTK connection worked smoothly with a 5G MiFi. I am looking forward to testing the terrain awareness options with the Matrice 300.

1 Like

Ours does that all the time, I work around it by going in to the base settings, changing refresh to any value, applying it, then going back to 1hz and applying that again, it starts immediately after doing that. Granted Ive only done it about 3 times so far (we only got it last week) but I will continue to review the workflow to make it easier because it is annoying have to do it all the time

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.