M+ ,M2 mount on a aluminum heat sink

Continuing the discussion from Reach M+ getting so hot after latests upgrades:

Just a suggestion here , would it be an improvement to mount the M+, M2 on a aluminum heat sink like something off of a Drive? to disperse some heat or is there not enough contact from components to the aluminum? Just got mine and wondering how and where best place inside a attic to mount it.

1 Like

Wow, that’s a big honkin’ piece! Mine gets hot as well, but a lexan airfoil seems to do well on a drone. Maybe a mini computer fan tied into the system?

Hi @davehofer1993, thanks for the suggestions about this.

I recommend you remove the plastic cover and make a contact in the top of the device, close to the “CE” plotted text.

These images are showing what I did to avoid overheating when the device is installed inside de drone and exposed to the external temperatures in my country.

I have used three or four layers of cooper, separated by thermal pads (like a radiator), and the main contact is done with a thermal paste used in CPU modules.

For a while, this workaround is solving my problems.

How I have constraints of space and energy consumption (no way to use a fan), it appears to be a tangible workaround, at least for my application.

And again, in other integrations that I did around sept/2019, using the same M+ does not appear these overheating … This carried me to think to consider some firmware update is causing this, since the hardware is the same (Reach M+ Rev: E)

Regards,

5 Likes

Will warranty still cover if you do that?

Hi @davehofer1993,

Indeed, I don’t know, but in my case, I have space limitations since Emlid release M+ (before, I using reach RTK based on Intel Edson), then I don’t have options.

Maybe, the guys from Emlid can explain about warraties when the case is removed.

Regards,

Thiago Tiedtke dos Reis

1 Like

Hi all,

You keep the warranty unless you modify the hardware.

2 Likes

I recently ran the M2 for 2x 2hour sessions in 35°C conditions surrounded by EPO foam with no airflow at all. I had no issues at all and am pretty sure that the Emlid guys know what they are doing when it comes to the hardware limitations and the heat dissipation design.

2 Likes

back of my mind thinks so too.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.