LORA Radio: 868/915MHz vs 400-470MHz

What is the observed difference between the 868/915MHz frequency range and the 400-470MHz range used by some Manufacturers, i would think higher frequency would find it difficult when compared to propagate over long distance [Like in the case of 2.4 vs 5GHz WiFi] and across high foliage areas [I’m not referring to foliage cover for GNSS satellite tracking, I’m referring to radio transmission of correction].

Also anyone use an external radio with the RS2?

General rules of thumb

The higher the frequency the greater the possible data bandwidth in one channel.

The higher the frequency the more the propagated wave want to travel in a straighter trajectory.

Anything above 1 Ghz is considered line of sight only. 900mhz can still pull off some minor non line of sight feats.

You can improve signal by increasing wattage, increasing antenna height, or decreasing data rate.

I have ebyte 1W loras ready to go as soon as winter lets up.

I do quite a bit of SCADA work for oil and gas. A data radio, is a data radio. The only real differences in radio equipment are the small proprietary optimizations that try to achieve a little more using a little less, and ensures brand incompatibility.

2 Likes

I ask about the external radio because I’ve used the ADL/TDL 450H with some Trimble GNSS systems which allows for I think up to 35W which lets for work via Radio RTK up to 20-25Km.

Although I think this is the same unit found in the RS2 with same range, power and frequency, 868MHz.

SCADA work? never heard of that…

Just as a side note.
52km range with 0,1W LoRa. Stock RS2 LOS

3 Likes

Higher frequency spread-spectrum travels further and lower frequency UHF penetrates better although more power to the UHF and it can travel further, but there is nothing that can be done to make SS penetrate better. We normally run 915mhz, but will switch to the 450mhz UHF gear when in heavily wooded areas.

The other thing to consider is where you are located. Some countries have virtually no restrictions in the 900 range others the 400 range.

Here in the U.S. 400 range is licensed as most of our emergency services use 400 radios (police, fire and ambulance services)

1 Like

Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition, it allows the remote operation of wells and machines.

The physical distance between lease sites can be great, sometimes hundreds of kilometres in the same field. It allows operators to only have to physically visit sites that have real problems. All the flow data is automatically recorded, and valving can be turned on and off remotely by computer.

Scada is the original 1990’s internet of things! Oil companies were early adopters.

Lora with its chirps is made to use the least possible power, its a spinoff of NASA talking to deep space probes. So wattage seems super low in a conventional sense.

If the Trimble radio allows serial rs 232 passthrough it should work, but i know some of them send in special format to only work with trimble.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.