Is unplug USB power from Reach is the good way to turn this off

Think all is on the title.

very simple ask, but never find if it’s the way to turn off the reach.

Yes. Just unplug the power.

1 Like

For more than a year, I have also been powering off by unplugging the USB. I have never had a problem with it.

To be fair, in general it’s not a good way to power off a device.
In case of Reach, we couldn’t make you guys turn it off through the app, it would be just way too much of a hassle.

So, some improvements have been made and it should be completely alright, as long you don’t do it during configuration changes or app update.

What about with open log files?
I have always quit logging before pulling the pin, but always wondered if I could just pull the pin…
Simon

I can’t remember where I read it (here on the forum or github commits), but ages ago, I believe a change was made in ReachView to do writes to the log files in such a way that if the power was disconnected, there would be less chance of corruption.

edit: Egor mentioned it already in this post above:

As for myself, I have pulled the power, or the battery has died while logging so many times and never a problem (touch wood).
Sometimes I like to turn the log on and off at certain times and will do so before removing power. Other times I want the log to stay on, so in case of a power interruption or if I send someone out to set up a Reach unit, they don’t have to worry about changing settings or start/stop logging. They just power up and power down and that’s it. So simple.

So do not worry, my friend. Your logs will be fine.

1 Like

This is an old thread. But how do you stop logging without pulling power? I don’t see any switch to start or stop logging. It just starts at power up and stops at power down.

And there is no “quit” or “stop” or “shutdown” in ReachView that I have found. How else are you going to shut off Reach if not by pulling power?

I assume he is referring to this
https://docs.emlid.com/reach/common/reachview/logging/

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.