Is there a way to create a line from imported points in flow

I often need to import project points generated in other tools.
I usually import the comma delimited file. Now with flow 360 it’s much easier, by the way.
Anyway I would like to be able to create a stakeout line after having imported my points, either in flow360 or in the handeld flow version.
I often face the issue of staking out a line created on the fly, not necessarily the way I planned to.
Is there a way to do that?

By the way, please update the link to flow docs when posting a new topic. It points to an old discontinued link.

Thanks in advance,
Massimo

3 Likes

I haven’t seen this either but would love the ability. I don’t even know if a DXF or SHP import will carry over linework. @svetlana.nikolenko ?

You can import lines from either csv (rather tricky, must pay attention to naming), dxf and shp.
Have yet to test it, but you should be able to retain names if importing from shape.
I tried importing from dxf and it works fine.
Anyway creating a new stakeout line in the field is fundamental in my opinion.
Massimo

Hi Massimo,

Currently, there is no such feature. But your (and Michael’s) request is noted.

I’ve just checked there is a link to the new docs. Can you share the one you get?

You mean names of some additional attributes?

Thanks for replying Svetlana.
Please consider the on the fly line creation. On the field the need arises often.

When posting for the first time I get a suggestion to check forum and help docs. Help docs linked are not available anymore (I guess it was the Reach link).
It happened on the first post only. If I find it elsewhere I’ll let you know.

About shape files: I probably wasn’t clear, sorry.
When importing dxf entity names are automatically generated.
With shape I should be able to import with names, but I have yet to test it.
Anyway converting to shape is not straightforward in my case and with my workflow, so at the moment I think I’ll seldom use shape, but you never know… :slight_smile:
Thanks again.

Massimo

4 Likes

Layer names, linetypes and colors are all amazing options but layers would be my choice if I had to pick one.

2 Likes

Never tought about layers…
Very nice idea. Considering we already have codes, adding a visibility option per code and an easy way to associate imported entities to codes would be a great improvement.

Massimo

1 Like

It’s especially helpful for the field guys in construction. We have a standardization process for CAD files that changes the layer names of the engineered design files we received to make it very simple to know what each layer is. Microstation is especially bad in this department, or at least the operators aren’t thinking of how it is going to be used down line. When our guys look at our files a wastewater line is always WW-MAIN/LAT/MH/PUMP and so on and is always green. Without this capability the only way we have found to simplify the mass amount of information is to make separate projects for each scope which doesn’t work for seeing two scopes against each other. It also causes a huge list of projects to sort through that are not sortable or searchable.

4 Likes

I see your point.
With the tool I use on the field I found a different workflow:
I never use the (primitive) graphical interface and simply import points.
I print drawings with the point names (maybe different prints with the different stuff I have to stakeout).
When staing out I then select the point, and in case of a line I can simply select two points from the list and stakeout the line on the fly.
I need the prints with me otherwhise I cannot work, but it’s very intuitive, fast and flexible.
One thing very useful (yet another point in the whishlist) is the possibility to automatically select the closest point. A great time saver when regular grids are involved.
Massimo

2 Likes

That makes sense. We send out PDF points maps as well. Each scope is bookmarked so their easy to get to. They reside on PlanGrid with the rest of our construction documents.

1 Like

Hi guys,

All your requests are noted! And especially thank you for describing the use cases.

Got it. If you face any difficulties, please let me know.

2 Likes

Creating a line in the field from collected points is an essential function in my agnecy. Frankly surprised that it isn’t part of Flow already. Hopefully it can be incorporated as my team may not want to stick with the RS2 without it!

1 Like

Just a short follow up:
I had the opportunity to test line stakeout in the field, and I really like the interface. Line flip, distance to point and from line are the features I use, and they are clear and easy to use.
Great work.
Please add the other features suggested…
Cheers,
Massimo

7 Likes

Hi there,

@alexander.gehrig, your +1 is also noted, thanks.

@studiodemarchi.net, thank you for your warm feedback! The team has been working hard to make it convenient, so we’re very glad to hear you like it. More features are on the way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After having spent some more time using the stakeout funtions I would like to give a short feedback and ask for some improvements:
I imported everything using the dxf format.
Import is smooth, and a nice touch is the polyline support.
Staking out procedure is very good, with lines it works great, also with polylines, it simplify a lot the job.

whish list:

• add some bold and visible way to signal I’m not working in fixed, or disable data, or anything else, optionally activable, live for saving data. Maybe I’m in float and don’t realize it because I’m focused on stakout data.
  • add support for layers, with function to switch on and off layers
  • add support for creating lines on the fly
  • add a select closest point button/function

Thanks in advance,
Massimo

4 Likes

Hi Massimo,

Thanks for this feedback! Great that you like the stakeout interface and linework. And of course, your wishlist will be passed to the right people on the team.

2 Likes

Thanks Svetlana.
I don’t know if my workflow is the same of other users, so maybe this is a rather personal whishlist based on my past experience.
I think Flow is a great tool, and some options are unexpected, but excellent. For instance polyline is a great idea. I really like the interface when doing line stakeout. It’s both clear and customizable. It’s clear what segment I’m using. The way I can change the stakeout approach and can switch the vertex line is great.
Keep on with the great job!

Cheers,
Massimo

1 Like

It’s extremely valuable anyway!

And it’s a pleasure to read your words :slight_smile: I’ll definitely pass them on to the team.

3 Likes

Hi there,

Any update regarding the creation of lines from already stored points?

Regards

Buddy

Hi Buddy,

We added it to our roadmap. Once it’s released, we’ll come back with the news.

4 Likes