Increasing LoRa’s Range

Got it from a place in Canada. Email me for contact info jviannapls at aol dot com

2 Likes

The bigger antennas work, but do not expect cellular similar coverage.

Lora is great for localized connections, not network performance.

1 Like

can we get precise position with setup? i mean atleast within 2cm?

1 Like

@jzeph89 Yes of course.

1 Like

then what would be the pros and cons of this setting

Here is another video showing the LoRa Extended Range Antenna Setup. LoRa Extended Range Antenna Setup - YouTube

2 Likes

Is there a way to get that kit in USA?

Try https://midway.dist.ltd/ in BC Canada

4 Likes

I got a kit from these folks in Canada:

but it is not advertised on their site.

3 Likes

+1 for Aeromao. They shipped to the USA was very fast. I haven’t done a formal range comparison of the stock vs. Triangl, but anecdotally the gain seems to really help. I work in a rugged mountainous area with zero cell coverage. The best I’ve gotten from the stock antennas is 6km LOS. With the Triangl antenna (only on the base, at top of 2m pole with standard 0.5m antenna cable), I got a fix at 8.2km LOS in seconds and held it without interruption for the whole duration of my survey.

It looks like @jaredplnormand is working at fairly close range and could conceivably move into an area with much better signal propagation when using high gain antennas (e.g., moving out past the edge of a signal obstructing forest). @Emlid, could a +6dB gain LoRa antenna on both ends damage Reach receivers if they were too close to each other? If so, what is the minimum distance that would ensure that the received power is at a safe level? I have been waiting to connect the high gain antenna to the rover until I am >2km away from a base transmitting with a high gain antenna just in case, but it’d be helpful to know if this is either not necessary or not cautious enough.

2 Likes

Hi Will,

In theory, these +6dB gain LoRa antennas shouldn’t damage Reach anyhow. However, these hardware components are from a third-party supplier, and we haven’t tested them ourselves. So, it’s quite hard to say for sure how they may impact Reach.

2 Likes

I tried the Triangl antennas but I did not find that they worked any better than the Emlid antennas. I even tried reducing the air data rate by dropping all constellations except GPS and GLONASS but I could never get farther than 450m across these woods.

I hope the hardware developers come out with the next generation of receivers soon and include an IMU tilt compensator for greater versatility and a 2W radio for greater RTK range.

1 Like

What version are you running? In the photos I posted above I am way farther than you are and there was small hills in between. I should add I am using all constellation’s.

Rocking the latest beta version.

1 Like

Can someone post here when they locate an antenna seller who :

• Sells antennas, connector cables, and tripod grips that are known to work to increase LoRa range. (Preferably tested w/ good results by at least 2 separate Emlid community sources/members.)
• Ships to the USA
• Have the items listed normally on their website, so that there’s no need to jump throuh hoops to try to explain to the vendor(s) exactly what parts are to be ordered.

Thanks

2 Likes

Sparkfun wrote a blog article on exactly this not two days ago, lol. They sell all the antennas they test, and they’re located in Colorado.

3 Likes

The article shows they’ll always looking for line-of-sight instead of dealing with real world surveying around patches of trees and farms. I’ve tried both the whip type and fiberglass type that they show, though not the exact models they sell, on my Emlid. I didn’t get any distance out of the whip and the fiberglass merely matched the Emlid antenna’s performance. I’m skeptical that the ones they sell will perform better. Also, the hardest thing to find is a cable with an extended handle on the connector for easier attachment to the Emlid LoRa port. I don’t see such a thing on their website but the proper connector nearly made the $200 price difference between their gear and the Triangl antenna kit worth it.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.