In what case turn off antenna height in PPK and file format

Hello all,

I am currently toying with the post-process workflow in Emlid Studio. I have three questions.

1. When I convert UBX to RINEX, the app offers the option not to use Antenna height. I am curious to know in what situation would that be turned off? And let’s say we forgot to measure the height, is it better to turn off the option or approximate the height?
    antenna_height

2. As I understand UBX format is “more complete” than RINEX format. However, since we have the option to log directly in RINEX, what is the advantage to convert afterwards?

3. In the workflow to convert kinematic, it says to use the base OR the rover navigation file. Which one should you and why?

Thank you all!
Anne-Marie

1 Like

Hi Anne-Marie,

Sorry for the silence in this thread!

As I understand UBX format is “more complete” than RINEX format. However, since we have the option to log directly in RINEX, what is the advantage to convert afterwards?

Both UBX and RINEX logs contain GNSS data. UBX can keep additional data in some cases, but if you record logs to process them in Emlid Studio, I’d recommend going for RINEX right away.

When you record RINEX logs in ReachView 3, you can use presets and choose satellite systems/logging interval. These settings are not available for UBX. Also, Emlid Studio will automatically convert UBX to RINEX before processing anyway.

When I convert UBX to RINEX, the app offers the option not to use Antenna height. I am curious to know in what situation would that be turned off? And let’s say we forgot to measure the height, is it better to turn off the option or approximate the height?

Accurate height measurement is vital for precise ground point calculation. If you approximate the height, it will cause a shift in the calculated coordinates. And in case you don’t use antenna height at all, you’ll get the precise position of the unit’s antenna phase center (APC). So, unless you want to obtain the APC coordinates, it’s handy to add the antenna height at this step.

In the workflow to convert kinematic, it says to use the base OR the rover navigation file. Which one should you and why?

That’s right – you can use either the base or rover navigation file. Both files contain ephemerides. They stay unchanged for the same satellites, independently of the receiver that records them.

3 Likes

Very complete answer! Thank you @kseniia.suzdaltseva !

@amdubois,

Anytime :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like