Import Global CS Points in Project

Hello,

Is there a way for me to import points (lat/lon WSG84) in a project in Global CS and them being displayed on the map?

As I understand it, points are imported in the local coordinate system chosen for the project (if you have one selected), so the app won’t show them on the map since I’m in Global CS.

I know it is possible to add points manually with the global coordinate system, but that won’t be very practical if I want to import a large number of points.

Please let me know if there is a workaround for this problem (or if I’m doomed to enter my points one by one :slight_smile:)

Cheers

Hi,

Welcome to our community forum!

If you want to import points with latitude/longitude into the Global CS project, they will be displayed on the map.

If you want to import local CS points into the Global CS project, they won’t be displayed on the map. They should be converted into geographic coordinates first. Maybe I don’t fully understand the purpose, but I’ll suggest something more relevant if you could share a dataset. You can do it via PM as there could be sensitive data.

That’s precisely what I want to do, the import seems to work but points are not showing on the map.

Here is the sample csv that I used to test the import (putting longitude in Easting and latitude in Northing)

Name,Easting,Northing,Elevation
London,-0.118092,51.509865,0.0

The import is successful, but the point is not displayed on the map and I get the following error when selecting the imported point:

The point can’t be shown on map since it only has local coordinates

I tried modifying the csv to have different columns like in the export (Latitude/Longitude) but then the import fails.

I must be missing a step or have the wrong header

Cheers

Hi,

The point can’t be shown on map since it only has local coordinates

Most likely, this message appeared because you didn’t change Easting to Longitude and Northing to Latitude in the columns’ title. You can rename it in the CSV file this way:

Name,Longitude,Latitude,Elevation
London,-0.1180922,51.509865,0.0

Then you can try to import it in ReachView 3. I attached the screenshots with this point on the map below.

1 Like

Yep, that did the trick, I was adding columns and not renaming them. The example given in the app could potentially be improved. I did not understand that I had to swap the column name to import WSG84 coordinates.

Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

Great! Now you know that trick and won’t be misled again, I hope :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.