Ideas for the possibility to synchronize videos with logging data (M2)

Hello dear forum,

I really enjoy testing things out with my Emlid equipment.
(M2 + antenna)
Here is a question of the type - “Is that possible and if so, how?”

Is it somehow possible to achieve an approximate synchronization of a video (individual frames) with the logging data of the M2 if the camera does not have a hot shoe and offers no other connection options?

Spontaneous idea from me (not yet tested)
Logging with a frequency of 10 HZ corresponds approximately to 10 FPS for videos. With 30 FPS as standard - you take every 3 frame from the video. The synchro would then have to be done manually - for example, if you stand still for a few seconds and then move. You can see this in the video and at the same time in the coordinates. However, this should keep the accuracy very limited.

Second idea:
Or if you could film the internal time of M2 with the camera, could this also be used as an optical-time synchronization?

I look forward to any ideas and discussions from the community!

Hello
What will be the final intended result ? A video with an exact time tag in metadata ?

The result would be several extracted frames (from the video) with a separate coordinate list that fits to the individual frames.

Hi Ludwig,

This idea is quite curious!

But it seems to be hardly implemented at the moment. Can you share for what purposes you wanted to make those videos?

The main thing is that Reach can be of help in creating the maps by the photos. For this purpose, Reach need a direct connection with a camera to record the coordinates when the picture is taken. After the post-processing, you have the precise photos’ centers to create the map of the surface.

A video is a different format of data. Even though it contains multiple separate images, it isn’t static. So, it’s not possible to tie a coordinate with the video shot.

You can try to film how you operate a switch that is wired to the event mark input on M2. Think about it as a clapperboard. :clapper: All it needs to do it short the event pin to ground, so it is pretty easy to do using a jumper pin cable that came with your M2. After that everything is pretty simple, you get a timestamped frame using the time from the RINEX log.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.