Hz? Simply, what is this?

I see this in the Base mode settings under RTCM3 messages settings and RTK settings such as 1 Hz, 5 Hz, 14 Hz etc.

Is it the amount or rate of data from the satellites? Higher the better? When to use lower frequency and why? No clue.

Do all these RTCM3 messages need tweaked for each scenario or is there a “recommended” settings list for different regions?

Thank you.

Hz = Hertz. A unit of measurement. It is named after a guy who decided we should have a unit for repeated events and he defined it as the number of times the event happens each second.

OK. That was simply. But I think we all know that part already. :slight_smile:

This is the sample frequency. Coordinates are produced at a particular time interval (frequency). Faster is better, especially if you are moving. Slower generates less data, so it doesn’t take up as much disk space or bandwidth, and is also less processing strain.

RTCM3 is used to send correction information from the base to the rover. Again, a faster frequency can be better, but it requires more processing power and higher bandwidth and storage space. When transmitting RTCM3 over radio, you can typically get longer distances with slower transmission rates (lower bandwidth / lower message frequency).

Just like overclocking a computer, you can tweak the settings all you want. You should be able to operate decently with default settings though. If you need more distance, slow it down. If you need more definition in the rover movements, then speed it up. If you need more satellites, then add some.

I didn’t go in to great detail, but that should get you started. If anybody has more to add, please do.

4 Likes

Thank you so much bide. Mission accomplished! You explained it simply and I got it. ; )

2 Likes