How to use an external barometer with navio2

Hi

I am currently building a quadcopter using Rpi3 + Navio 2 embedded in a waterproof frame.
The issue being that I expect my barometer not to work anymore as it will be completely isolated from ambient air pressure

Does anybody know how to connect an external baro to navio 2 board?

Thanks very much for your help
Guillaume

@Guiboy Hi! There are two ways to do this:

1. Hardware way:
    a: Unsolder MS5611 chip from the Navio board.
    b: Connect external MS5611 with address set to 0x77 (using address selection pins of the chip) to the I2C port on Navio.

2. Software way:
    a. Change Ardupilot code by setting MS5611 address for Navio to 0x76 and compile it.
    b. Connect external MS5611 with address set to 0x76 (using address selection pins of the chip) to the I2C port on Navio.

Thanks very much for this very precise reply Mikhail

As I would like to keep my Navio 2 board as it is, I will opt for the “software way”
I found this equipped module which seems to be equipped of an I2C interface
https://www.amazon.fr/MS5611-Precision-Micro-Barometer-Module/dp/B01J5M7ZJ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471331038&sr=8-3&keywords=MS5611

I assumed the wiring diagram to be respected on I2C port is described in the MS5611 documentation.

Now the question is for me on the procedure to change the Ardupilot code and compile it. Is there any documentation available on the topic?
I am very new to LINUX and programming.

Thanks!
Guillaume

@Guiboy

This is the line where the address is specified.

Instructions on how to compile the code for Navio are available in our docs.

1 Like

While @mikhail.avkhimenia posted a good starting point, I ran into a few problems like how to enable debug symbols etc. This docs helped me the most, ardupilot/BUILD.md at master · ArduPilot/ardupilot · GitHub

1 Like