How to PPK 50-100 Survey Points using 2 Reach RS Units with no RTK correction?

Hey Brent. Nothing is hard when you know how to do it :smile: Well it is good to know others have ran the gauntlet before me. I certainly had a serious side of the post but I also hoped that those who have been there before me could have a laugh if they had forgotten what it was like in their early days. And likewise for the newcomers they can read it and have full warning of what is to come. There are many many videos and post that “glorify” drone mapping but really fail to let viewers know what it really takes to succeed. Drone Mapping is the Seal Team 6 of General Drone Flying.

The burden for proper training is not on forum members, but yet many like you, have provided tutorials in bits and pieces. The free market will certainly take over at some point in time. Because where there is a need and people are willing to pay for it, solutions will come. A company like Emlid will either realize the need and fill it or another company will.

After studying this stuff day and night and making some minor gains, I am going to try a software solution that I feel good about. Time will tell and later I will gladly share my experience. I also got a kit from Simon that I am going to get installed within the next week and start playing with that for RTK on my P4. I am going to devote all my free time on to learning my new software but I will also start preparing a document that outlines the learning stages from beginning to never ending :slight_smile:. Almost like a wiki page. Then maybe members can collaborate on tutorials for each section. Just an idea. And just remember, Nothing is hard once you know how to do it. Till next time…

3 Likes

Hey all,

I’m preparing to do some PPP, PPK, and NTRIP trials with my ReachRS units, and have some questions that relate to the discussion taking place here.

For PPK and PPP, I am going to set up over a known monument and log without entering the monument coordinates. I want to see how close I can get with PPP vs PPK.

In my experience with the Reach as a base so far, I have been using average single position and letting the base collect for 30 minutes. In my understanding, I want to let the base log position for up to 4 hours for PPP for best results.

Thus, my question has to do with the ReachView software. The max observation time is set at 30 minutes, but do the raw RINEX (.obs and .nav files) continue to log as long at the reach is powered on and a job opened?

I want to make sure that the base is actually recording the data I need, and not come back and find it only logged it’s position for the 30 minute limit.

Anyone know? Are the log files independent of the average single position settings?

Thank you!

Hi RTK_RTJ

I believe it keeps logging. The 30 minutes is the time it uses to give you an averaged point( that time can be changed) at that setup.

Jim

1 Like

Thanks!

One follow up question regarding output RINEX files.

After browsing through the forums, it seems people have had issues uploading the RINEX files to NRCAN for PPP, apparently due to the header in the .obs file identifying L1 and L2 frequencies, where it should only be L1. One user suggested modifying the header, removing the L2 info from the header (and apparently had success)

Others however seem to have uploaded the RINEX file to NRCAN without a need to edit the header, or, in another case, having logged the raw data as u-blox format and running through RTKCONV.

I intend to log in RINEX 2.11, but would like to know if anyone has found using another format and converting with RTKLIB more reliable for PPP through NRCAN.

When I have uploaded to NRCAN it seems to be a hit and miss for me. Sometimes it will upload the reach rinex 2.11 file and other times I have to use RTKLIB Convert to make it upload to there site. Really have not found the reason for this myself

Jim

When you run it through RTKLIB, are you able to plug in a Rinex that does not upload to NRCAN properly, and get a Rinex output that does work, or are you putting in a format such as u-blox and getting a Rinex output. I’m just curious if entering the ‘broken’ Rinex will output a ‘fixed’ Rinex.

Normally I use the rinex file from the reach. I have not done any uploads from the last reach updates though.
Jim

1 Like

I think the header issue has been fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.