How to install the latest Gstreamer 1.18

Hello,

i have Navio2 on a raspberry pi 3 +b and i am using the latest image that you provide.
This comes with gstreamer v1.14 installed. My goal is to stream video in 4g network through Gstreamer but instead of using in the gstreamer command the raspivid element I would like to use the rpicamsrc element… All people say that it is far superior than raspivid… Furthermore, I would also like to use the SRT protocol for streaming through Gstreamer which is so much faster.

Gstreamer v1.18 includes the raspicam and you dont need to install it manually. SRT has to be built from sources and I was able to do that… But unfortunately I cannot build from sources Gstreamer 1.18… The instructions are too advanced and its so difficult for someone like me without any knowledge and experience on building from sources…
Unfortunately, by using the sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0 command does not install the latest 1.18… SO i gues the latest available gstreamer version in the repositories is v1.14.
There is a nice guide that i found in github.com GitHub - PietroAvolio/Building-Gstreamer-Raspberry-Pi-With-SRT-Support: This sh script and some tips you can find in the README file will help you obtaining a running installation of gstreamer with SRT support on you Raspberry . One guy wrote a guide on how to install raspicam, SRT and then how to update gstreamer by executing a script… Unfortunately, this guide does not work anymore. It worked for version 1.16 of gstreamer, but v1.16 has a bug and it does not allow to use the SRT protocol…

Could you please guide me with simple 1, 2, 3 … steps the commands that I need to execute in order to install gstreamer v1.18 ? All attempts I have tried to do this failed because i dont have any knowledge on that. I haven’t found any useful help on Gstreamer forums… All expert guys there seem so busy and snob to exlpain very simple steps for novice users.

Ideally, it would be great if in the image you provide you could include Gstreamer v1.18… v1.14 is quite old…

Thanks a lot in advance for your help…

I have found a repository that already has the latest gstreamer v1.18 for Debian Buster…

I have added this repository on my /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory but when using the command sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0 it keeps trying to install v1.14 from the main raspbian repositories.

can someone help on how we could install gstreamer from this repository ?

Thank you

I have managed to install the latest gstreamer v1.18.3 using this repository Show home:den_erpel - openSUSE Build Service… I followerd the below steps as described also in the repository

1. Create an SD card with the raspbian OS image provided by emlid
  2. Create a file named gstreamer.list within /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory. In the gstreamer.list file add the line deb /repositories/home:/den_erpel/Debian_10 - openSUSE Download ./
  3. Create a file with name _pubkey within /home/pi/ directory. In the file add all the lines as
    -----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
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=j4BC
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
4. Run command sudo apt-key add _pubkey
5. Create file with name 99buster-erpel within /etc/apt/preferences.d/ directory. In the 99buster-erpel file add the lines
Package: *
Pin: origin download.opensuse.org
Pin-Priority: 800

6. Run command sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Tha gstreamer should get updated

4 Likes

Hi @drone_newbie,

Thanks for sharing the solution!