How to import shp with global CS

Hello,

I really like the way Emlid Flow works. It’s just what we need, and it’s easy to send people with minimal training into the field. I also like the way projects are synchronized (almost) in real time.

Only when importing points I can’t get it to upload a shape with coordinates in WGS 84 (EPSG:4326). When I set a local CS and transform the point to the local CS it works, but in most files I work directly with WGS84, and I would like to upload these as well. With csv that should be possible, but with shape files I can’t get it to work.

Isn’t that possible, or am I doing something wrong?

Hi Bram,

Welcome to the community forum!

Thanks for your kind words. Glad that you enjoy working with our app :slight_smile:

Hmm, can you please share both SHP files with me? I’ll check them. You can send them here or via support@emlid.com.

And what is the local CS you work with? I’ll need it to test files in Emlid Flow.

1 Like

Hello Julia,

In projects without local CS it will load the points from a global-shp as local coordinates and can’t show the points. When I make a project with local CS, it will load points, but uses the lat/lon values as x/y-coordinates.

Name,longitude,latitude,ellipsoidal height
P1_csv,5.56,52.53,0

shp1b.zip (509 Bytes)
shp1UTMb.zip (511 Bytes)

Hi Bram,

Sorry that I didn’t get back to you sooner!

I checked your files, and yep, the results were the same as you described. I’ve passed it on to the team to discuss. And once I have any news, I’ll share them with you.

Hi Bram,

I just wanted to clarify a few details with you. What software do you use to output SHP files? Also, did you work with Emlid Flow on an Android or iOS device? What is its OS version?

I used Qgis 3, on Windows10, to make the shape files.

And used Emlid Flow on a Samsung Tablet with Android 13

Bram,

Got it. Thank you!

We will continue the investigation. And once I have any news, I’ll share them here.

Hi Bram,

I discussed your case with the team. At the moment, Emlid Flow can import the SHP files in local coordinates only. As a current workaround, you can upload SHP files in local coordinates. Or import files in CSV to work exactly with WGS84.

I’ll note your case as a feature request for the support of geographic coordinates for SHP import and pass it to the team for consideration. If I have any news on that, I’ll post them in this thread.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi Bram,

Just wanted to share some news here! Emlid Flow now supports uploading SHP files in geographic coordinates. To make it work, ensure having a PRJ file in the SHP archive.

I tested it with the data you shared above: manually added a PRJ file, renamed it, and compressed the data. It worked like a charm :slight_smile:

Here is the PRJ file that I used. If you don’t have a PRJ file in your future datasets, you can use this one as well. I have also attached your dataset after adding the PRJ file to it so that you have an example.

Prj.zip (890 Bytes)
shp.zip (2.4 KB)

3 Likes