How to get proper results when geotagging images from RTK drones in Emlid Studio?

In Emlid Studio you can easily geotag images from RTK drones that were taken in the FLOAT or even SINGLE solution. This can happen when RTK communication between a base and a drone is lost due to electromagnetic interference, obstacles, or exceeded baseline.

The RTK drone data processing workflow allows you to improve the quality of the survey by updating the data of your images with precise coordinates. You need RINEX logs from a base or Continuously Operating Reference Station (CORS) and a drone, an MRK file from a drone, and a set of images from a drone.

To ensure you have an optimal data set for post-processing in Emlid Studio, check the tips below:

1. Depending on the base you use, make sure you stay within the baseline during the flight, otherwise you won’t be able to get a fixed solution. For exact values, please refer to the manufacturer’s specifications or related data.
  2. When you use a RINEX log from CORS, there are several things to check before uploading it to Emlid Studio:
  • If the log is in the compressed RINEX format, CRX, convert it before uploading.
  • Since RTK drones usually record their logs at a higher rate, ensure that the log has an update rate of at least 1 Hz. This will ensure proper processing.
  • Make sure the log has a navigation file. If it doesn’t, you can also get it by converting the BIN file from your drone, this way, you should get OBS and NAV files.
  1. Make sure that the logs recording time overlaps the drone observation time.

By following these tips, you can easily get geotagged images with precise coordinates. Do you have any questions, want to share your experience, or give some advice? Leave your comments below or send us an email at support@emlid.com.

P.S. Don’t forget to check our previous Support tip about performing Stop & Go with Emlid Flow and processing the resulting data in Emlid Studio.

5 Likes

Does Emlid Studio now leave all of the the image exif data intact and only adjust the x,y,z ? Or is the exif data still removed on the adjusted images?

2 Likes

Hi Dave,

The EXIF metadata is still removed.

1 Like

Okay, thank you, Kirill. Hopefully we can get the exif retained someday. There are a lot of important parameters contained there that is picked up by post processing software. There are workarounds, but I know it can be done. RedToolbox has done it for years now with their RTKlib based tool.

3 Likes

Is it now possible to geotag tif files or is it still restricted to jpegs? Also, multi-imaging sensors (like the Micasense RedEdge cameras) are quite commonly used in the scientific community and they write single images for each channel (rather than RGB files). Support for these systems would also be highly welcome.

1 Like

Hi @JoBind,

There is no such feature in Emlid Studio, but I’ve noted it and will pass it on to the team for consideration. Thank you!

I’m curious if Lightroom can be used for this. I know it can load a GPX file. Could you then apply that tracklog to a set of photos and then export them and maintain single channel?