How to find exact Reach(Base) position

Hi,

From my yesterday’s Experiment with Reach carried out at an Open field with clear sky, I found out that even though I had 10 Satellites showing me with more than 45 SNR Level, I was still getting FLOAT result and NOT FIX.

That means, I was not getting accuracy in +/-10cms precision but in +/- 60 cms precision (which is still really good). But I need to get precision of 10cms. Maybe it was a problem with BASE correction for which I have to Input correct BASE Position in its Configuration.

In order to do so, my question is how can I find out correct BASE Position? Is it possible for you to develop in future, that Reach (BASE) configures automatically its own Position?
Maybe by building average for a long period of time ?

Many thanks!!

1 Like

The best way to find out your base position is using a correction service that has base stations with known positions.
If you don’t have access to such a service another solution might be a long time (multiple days) single measurement and using the mean value.
I had similar problems and the reason was that rover and base were too close (<10m) together.

1 Like

Hi, You shouldn’t need your EXACT base position in order to get FIX. Approximate base coordinates should be close enough to get FIX. Set your base station as ROVER and then record the coordinates it shows. They will be continually changing so you can either use them as they are or use the Mobile Topographer App with Bluetooth connection to sort of average them and hopefully increase the accuracy. Then set your base station as BASE and enter those coordinates as BASE coordinates. If you still only get FLOAT there may be something else wrong. Of course, even a FIX solution will only provide accuracy relative to the approximate base station positioning.
This is based on my experience. Maybe others have had experience where accurate absolute positioning was necessary for FIX.

1 Like

No need for absoulte coordinates on base. Average them out as Brent said should be close enough.
Getting a fix is another chapter :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can put any coordinates as you wish, if you intend to use the system for local activities. It is not important to be exact position, but to be mechanically fixed. And from this moment on, all measurements should use only this base.
Of course, this will not be an official reference point, and, consequently cannot be used for geodetic measurements. But for your applications should do the job.

1 Like