How long to get solution back from OPUS? and / or CORS?

I need to create a new known point in a remote area so I can get corrections. I am trying to decide if I am going to use OPUS or Static Processing to create my new known point. I understand I have to log static data for 2-4 hours or more and then upload the file to OPUS. In the tutorial on uploading to OPUS it says I will get an email back from OPUS, but I think someone told me it could take a day or two (maybe longer?) for the OPUS solution to become available. Is this true? Alternatively, I might use Static Processing to create my new known point. I am wondering if there is the same or similar waiting period to get the necessary data from CORS? My decision will largely depend on which method is faster.

You will likely need to wait a couple of days. I would not use an ultra rapid result. I would wait for at least a rapid result. It can take up to three weeks for a precise result. See here: OPUS: the Online Positioning User Service, process your GNSS data in the National Spatial Reference System. I would use opus or NRCAN rather that a single CORS base, as that would just be a single baseline. You can typically get a rapid result from opus within 24 hours or so with rapid orbits.

Thank you for your response and the link. It was very helpful. I have a couple of follow up questions to make sure I understand what you wrote. First, it seems like you recommend using OPUS over Static Processing with Emlid Studio because Static Processing only uses one single CORS station rather than the three that OPUS uses?

Earlier today I logged 4 hours of data for OPUS with my RS2+. Immediately afterwards, I was able to download data from my nearest CORS station, but it sounds like the data for the same time period changes to become more accurate the longer I wait? So for example, if I wait to upload my log file until 17:00 UTC tomorrow or the day after the results will be more accurate than if I upload my log file right now? And this is because the CORS data my log file is being “processed” with will be more accurate?

This is exactly what the OPUS document says, I just want to make sure I am reading it right:

Thanks Again!

Hi Eric,

Static processing in Emlid Studio calculates the single vector between the CORS station and your receiver, while OPUS is a double-differential service that uses the network adjustment algorithm.
That’s what this recommendation is based on.

This applies to the OPUS, not the CORS data. You can use the CORS data as soon as you receive it.

1 Like