How long of a fix time do emlid reach rs+ need for relatively accurate positioning?

I found a set of very inexpensive reach rs+ locally and am planning on picking them up, as I would like to practice some mapping missions before I start trying to do mapping commercially.

I understand that since they are only a single band rtk receiver that they really take quite a long time to get enough GPS signals to average them and get a decent fix, and I’ve seen anything from 5 minutes to 3+ hours and while I don’t mind waiting 20 minutes, I don’t think I’d really like to wait multiple hours to get decent accuracy

how long do I really need to wait to get like 2 cm accuracy?

In short, with single frequency, if you have to wait more than 10-15 minutes for fix solution, you probably have a too long baseline (distance between rover and base) or one of your units doesn’t have sufficient sky-view.

1 Like

Hi @MoniBinis,

I agree with what Christian pointed out. If Reach RS+ stands in an open area and the baseline doesn’t exceed 10 km in RTK, you will likely see Fix just after 1-2 minutes.

Once Reach gets Fix, it maintains it. So, you don’t need to wait for the Fix calculation on every point. To average the position in Fix, we recommend setting around 40 seconds interval.

In our experience it all depends on the environment you are in. If you are using a local base it needs at least 140 degrees (20 mask) of sky view to ensure you get enough good satellites. For the rover it you get within 15ft of a tree or structure you are probably going to lose the fix and will have to back out and slowly come back in once the fix has been recovered. If you have a fix it shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds to get cm level accuracy on a point.

The only difference I have seen between L1 only and L1/L2 is the fix time and stability, the accuracies have been pretty consistently the same.

For drones using an M+ it is much better because of the drone being in the air.

1 Like

I found a set of very inexpensive reach rs+ locally and am planning on picking them up, as I would like to practice some mapping missions before I start trying to do mapping commercially.

I understand that since they are only a single band rtk receiver that they really take quite a long time to get enough GPS signals to average them and get a decent fix, and I’ve seen anything from 5 minutes to 3+ hours and while I don’t mind waiting 20 minutes, I don’t think I’d really like to wait multiple hours to get decent accuracy appvalley

how long do I really need to wait to get like 2 cm accuracy?

issue got solved

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.