How accurate can a single RS+ get over time?

Hi All. I just picked up an RS+ and I’m trying to get an idea of how accurate of a position I can get with just the one unit. I understand there are methods (NTRIP, two units, etc.) that can get cm grade measurements, but I am interested in what the unit can do alone for a single position over a long period of time. For example, if it’s in “base mode” and I do not move it for an hour or so, will it get more accurate? Can I find a single location on the ground to within cm accruacy? I’m new to this field so thanks for the input.

https://geodesy.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/

What are we looking at that relates to the the OP’s question? All I see is a controls map?

“Can I find a single location on the ground to within cm accruacy? I’m new to this field so thanks for the input.”

I think he’s talking about setting up the base, averaging a point and wondering if that point will ever be centimeter accurate according to the rest of the world or “official” sources, but I see where this information would be handy besides that in order to check in.

1 Like

Yes, that is the intention behind my question.

Bryan’s post is a great resource if you happen to be near any of those and can either check into them or alleviate the need for averaging and just setup on their know coordinates. With the + models you would have to be pretty close though.

This is why when you do certified work you end up using an optical instrument and an auto-level. Sometimes we get close enough to get the horizontal with GPS, but we still run a level.

A was reading a separate post, and one of the users made a recommendation that a single rs unit could get a relatively accurate reading but that it would have to be left in single mode for like 8 hours. I was curious if that sounds right to you, and what level of accuracy that would have. Thanks for the resource by the way, I am walking out to a few today to scout them out :slight_smile:

I can’t imagine that it would get into the centimeter level consistently. You could log for PPK and if you have any entities that post RINEX files you could establish that point with centimeter accuracy.

Buy an M2 and Swift antenna (Harxon GPS 500). Great combo and cheaper than RS2.

The M2 would use the Harxon as the antenna, and then the M2 would link up with the smart phone for the interface, right? The advantage here is that the M2 (and Harxon) are multi-frequency and would be able to locate a single point on the planet to within very high accuracy? My RS+ simply can’t get there because it’s single frequency? Thank you again!

“The advantage here is that the M2 (and Harxon) are multi-frequency and would be able to locate a single point on the planet to within very high accuracy?”

Not by itself unless you use the PPK method and log like Michael mentions or submit the data to OPUS or NRCAN for an PPP absolute postion. (OPUS requires a dual-frequency GPS (L1/L2) submission, aka RS2 or M2)

From my understanding a single receiver by itself, either single or multi-frequency, without post processing will only obtain approximately 2.5m positional accuracy to it’s location on earth, about the same as a handheld GPS receiver.

One receiver is really a limitation on what you can do, unless you have an RTN solution available using NTRIP and you have cell service in the area… Which depending on where you live, the RTN solution can be quite expensive or possibly free. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve here. Are you laying out multiple points at a time or just want to observe one static absolute point at a time?

You will want to read the excellent Emlid Docs at Contents | Reach RS/RS+ for some background on the pluses & minuses of each configuration possible.

5 Likes

Hi @jherbranson,

Welcome to the community forum!

I see that Dmitriy has already answered your question here:

It’s related to the answer above, but I’d like to point out that both Reach RS+ and Reach M2 in a standalone mode are capable of obtaining meter-level accuracy only.

You can see the difference between the multi-band and single-band receivers while working in RTK or PPK. For example, a multi-band receiver is capable of finding a fix solution much quicker. I’d recommend checking our Single-band VS Multi-band guide for more detail. Please note that there is no difference in the end result accuracy of RTK or PPK for the single-band and multi-band receivers.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.