Hotspot Connection Drops after a few Minutes

Help! We are on a job requiring our RS2s to be in hotspot mode but after a few minutes they all drop their hotspot and try to connect to WiFi (flashing blue WiFi icon), making the unit unreachable. They will not connect to any iPad or iPhone hotspot, the idea is to use the sim in the RS2 for corrections and connecting between tablet and unit. All the devices are on 29.1 - any ideas? We have a 700Ha survey job that we have just four days to do but at the moment we have no usable receivers!

2 Likes

Hello Rory
Does this happen at 1 site only?
Could there be interference from nearby cell site antennae or power lines?

Happens with all four devices, 3 x RS2 and 1 x RS2+. After about 5 minutes they try to connect to a wifi network and drop the hotspot, even though I have removed all known networks. I managed to get one to connect to my iPhone hotspot so at least we managed to shoot points, but it’s a strange behaviour I have never seen before, unless it is just on the periphery of a saved wifi network. The common factor is firmware 29.1.

2 Likes

Dang, you sure did get a RS2+ FAST!

Can the firmware be rolled back?

If not, maybe factory reset them?

1 Like

Hi Rory,

We’ve found a reason for this behavior and have just released a fix with the new 29.2 firmware version. If it’s not possible to update your receivers, you can reflash them to the latest firmware. Please let me know whether it works for you!

2 Likes

That’s great news! I’ll update them when I get back to Shetland on Wednesday.

Hi Rory,

Just wanted to check if everything works well now. Did you get a chance to update your receivers?

Hi Kseniia,

I have updated two and they are working fine now, many thanks for the quick fix!

1 Like

Cool, thanks for sharing!

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.