Hot Shoe Adapter for Reach M+ and PPK workflow overview now available

Post-Processed Kinematic (PPK) technique is widely used for mapping with drones. In this scenario Reach RS/RS+ base on the ground and Reach M+ rover on a drone independently log raw data which is post-processed after the flight.

For mapping, it’s crucial to sync an onboard camera and Reach M+ rover. To ensure smooth and reliable synchronization of Reach and a camera, we’ve added a hot shoe adapter to Reach UAV mapping kit. The adapter can be connected directly to a hot shoe of a camera (tested with Sony, Canon and Nikon) providing time stamping of each photo with microsecond resolution.

You can get hot shoe adapter in Emlid online store with UAV kit or purchase it separately

We have posted an introductory article about PPK where you can learn more about why synchronization of a camera and Reach M+ is a critical part of mapping with a drone. The guide will be useful to everyone getting started with PPK and UAV mapping, check it in our docs!

4 Likes

Hello. Does this adapter compatible with the reach (old) receptor?

Hi Fabio,

Yes, it’s compatible with Reach!

However, hot shoe adapter goes with JST-GH connectors, so for the original Reach you’ll need to modify the cable.

I have a Samsung Nx300 camera. I also have a hotshue cable on it (from a 3 part… I don’t remember the name of it). The functionality works fine with low speed photos (1/250 or slower)… not good enough for mapping! Does this adapter able to solve my problem?

Fabio,

1/250 is the fastest shutter speed at which your camera will output the signal so using different hot shoe adapter won’t solve the issue.

I am trying to reach the page of the hotshoe adapter… and it only let me go to the brazilian website… Am I forced to buy from the them?

Hi Fabio,

With shipping to Brazil, you can only order from the Brazilian website

But they do not offer all the products! And the site is also not up to date with the news from Emlid… This is a shame!

You can build a reliable adapter youreself for less than 1 $ im less than 30 min. Requires just a screw, a pcb cables and some soldering. Just make sure that one of the cables is connected to the center contact and the other one to ground at the hot shoe metal. It is not as elegant as the Emlid design, but worked for me for more than 600 ha. But you have to test the reliability of your construction before you go mapping.

A shutter speed of 1/250 is useless for aerial mapping. I think you should change the camera or use another way to estimate the shutter release time.

I have another camera: a sony one… but I would like to use de NX300. My principal issue is to not have access to all the news from Emlid… and be obrigate to see only the brazilian site (not only for buyng proposel…)

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.