Higher-end prosumer L1 GNSS antannas

I am looking for a RTK-ready higher end (say sub $1000) L1 GNSS antenna for a research project where antenna dimensions are not a big problem (we use a large rover). The Tallysman antennas promoted here seem to have very good value (and size) but I wonder whether the survey grade antennas like the Ashtech ASH-660 ($800), Leica AS05 ($800), Trimble Zephyr (actually $2000) or Novatel can deliver can deliver proportionally better performance for the higher price? Are these antennas worth money if I need the best signal sensitivity in the price class (still sub $1000)? These seem to come in a disc shaped enclosures with bigger radius then Tallysman - do they include the ground plane or what is the difference (construction)?

The helical Maxtena ($300) was also praised here - how does its construction stand to the rest of the crowd? Its specs say “Ground plane independent” - does it mean it doesnt a ground plane?

1 Like

If money is not an object get the trimble zephyr geodetic 2 antenna. It should be around $2200 and sometimes you can find it on ebay. The zephyr 2 is capable of receiving all current and planned future GPS/GNSS/Galileo/Beidou signals. Out of all our GPS survey gear that antenna is hands down the best. You can also find the older original Zephyr antennas on ebay that are GPS L1/L2 only. With this antennas we get around 18 visible satellites, bad days 13 and great days 22 here in california.

1 Like

See my test of Magellan NAP100. There seemd to be some improvments.
The antenna is available second hand some times 200-700$

1 Like